Placement Test for Elementary, Intermediate, First Certificate and Advanced Language Practice.
Underline the answer which best answers the question or fits the space.
0. Where are you from?
A. I'm France
B. I'm from France
D. I'm French
1. How old are you?
A. I have 16
B. I am 16
C. I have 16 years
D. I am 16 years
2. Are you having a nice time?
A. Yes, I'm nice
B. Yes, I'm having it
C. Yes, I am
D. Yes, it is
3. Could you pass the salt, please?
A. Over there
B. I don't know
C. Help yourself
D. Here you are
4. Yesterday I went __________ bus to the National Museum.
5. Sue and Mike __________ to go camping.
6. Who's calling, please?
A. Just a moment
B. It's David Parker
C. I 'll call you back
7. They were ___________ after the long journey, so they went to bed.
8. Can you tell me the __________ to the bus station?
9. _________ you remember to buy some milk?
10. -Don’t forget to put the rubbish out. -I've_________ done it!
11. You don’t need to bring __________ to eat.
B. a food
12. What about going to the cinema?
A. Good idea!
B. Twice a month
C. It's Star Wars
D. I think so
13. - What would you like, Sue? -I’d like the same ___________ Michael please.
14. __________ people know the answer to that question.
D. A little
15. It's not ____________ to walk home by yourself in the dark.
16. ____________ sure all the windows are locked.
17. I’ll go and ___________ if I can find him.
18. What’s the difference ____________ football and rugby?
19. My car needs ___________.
B. to repair
C. to be repair
20. Tim was too _____________ to ask Monika for a dance.
21. I haven't had so much fun _____________ I was a young boy!
22. Sorry, I don’t know _____________ you’re talking about.
23. I’m afraid you ____________ smoke in here.
A. could no
B. don't have to
C. are not allowed to
D. can't be
24. Everyone wanted to go out ___________ John.
25. Honestly! I saw a ghost! I’m not _____________ it up!
26. Eat everything up! I don't want to see anything ___________ on your plate!
27. Take the A20 ____________ the roundabout, then turn left.
B. as far as
D. heading north
28. I really hope you can find a _______________ to this problem.
29. Could you watch my bag while I go and get a cup of tea?
A. Of course!
B. Never mind
C. If you don't mind
D. It doesn't matter
30. In my country, it is ________ the law to watch an X-rated film if you are under eighteen.
31. Rebecca had to ____________ the invitation, as she was busy studying for her exams.
A. take off
B. put back
C. turn down
D. get away
32. Police ___________ that a terrorist group might be behind the kidnapping.
33. When Christopher smiles, he ____________ me of his grandfather.
34. The wonderful smell of freshly ___________ coffee hit us as we entered the store.
35. Mike’s dad wouldn’t __________ him go to school with a red streak in his hair.
36. If only I ____________ made that phone call!
37. I like Mary for her friendly smile and her ___________ of humour.
38. These shoes are very ____________ for walking in the mountains.
39. ____________ of the credit for our success has to go to the Chairman, Peter Lewis.
40. We were surprised that over 500 people ___________ for the job.
41. The children watched in excitement as she _________ a match and lit the candles.
42. Sorry about Kate's strange behaviour, but she's just not used to _________ lots of people around her.
43. Ivan kept running very hard ___________ none of the other runners could possibly catch him.
A. even though
44. 'I did this painting all ____________ my own, Dad,' said Milly.
45. You ____________ better check all the details are correct before we send it off.
46. This game is _____________ to be for five years-olds, but I think a two year-old could do it!
47. Just put this powder down, and it should __________ any more ants from getting in.
48. When Jonie __________ to do something, you can be sure she'll do it, and do it well.
A. gets on
B. takes up
C. sets out
D. brings about
49. _____________ we get to the top of this hill, the path gets much easier.
A. At the time
50. Fifty-seven? No, that __________ be the right answer!
51. ___________ happens, I'll always be there for you!
D. No matter
52. Can you ___________ to it that no one uses this entrance?
53. A ___________ debate ensued, with neither side prepared to give way to the other.
54. I've drunk milk every ____________ day of my life, and it's never done me any harm!
55. The version of the film I saw had been ____________ censored.
56. He promised to phone me at nine o’clock exactly, and he was as ________ as his word.
57. There has been so much media __________ of the wedding that I’m completely fed up with it.
58. If I were you I would _________ clear of the area around the station late at night.
59. Turning back now is out of the _________.
60. Joe's fear of enclosed spaces ___________ from a bad experience he had when he was a child.
Send me a copy of my responses.
Page 1 of 1
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service