The Critical Nature of Picture Books in Elementary Classrooms
Instructor: Nancy Daigle
Location: Thatcher Brook Primary School Library, 47 School Street, Waterbury, Vermont
Dates: Wednesday’s , Sept.18-Dec 4, 2019
Time: 13 sessions, 4:00-7:00 pm
An introduction to a range of children’s literature and methods to integrate picture books into the elementary school classroom, utilizing the Red Clover Book Award titles for 2020.
Participants will participate in a community of learners and readers while exploring the children’s literature featured within the Red Clover Book Award titles, examine the role that children’s literature plays in an elementary school classroom, and evaluate the effectiveness of instructional methods using children’s literature across the curriculum.
● read, discuss, compare and evaluate a variety of children’s literature.
● identify the genres of children’s literature and examples for each.
● Interpret the relationship between text and illustrations in picture books and their impact on learners
● explain the role of children’s literature in the development of reading and writing skills.
● Identify enrichment materials for a variety of titles to enhance instruction
● Reading, discussing and evaluating a variety of children’s literature
● Review genres of children’s literature
● Consider age and reading level appropriateness of various children’s books
● Learn instructional strategies as they relate to using children’s literature across the curriculum
● Address the connection between text and illustrations
● Introduction to and study of Red Clover nominees for 2020
Cost: Credit (3 credits through Castleton) - $1200
Noncredit Cost: $825
Please email Nancy Daigle with course questions:
Other questions, please email Juliette Longchamp at Vermont-NEA at
Minimum Class Attendance: 10 Participants
National Board Certification Area
Currently there are 25 available certificate areas for National Board Certification. Please select the one you wish to pursue. If you are not sure, please check the "Not Sure" section and feel free to email or call Juliette Longchamp at Vermont-NEA to discuss your options at
Please check the boxes that apply to you.
Professional license renewal certificates for 45 hours will be given to all candidates.
Castleton 3 credits $1200
School will send a PO and will be invoiced by Vermont-NEA
I will send a personal check
Credit Card - Form will be sent to you
If you have any questions or comments, please leave below.
Vermont-NEA will offer scholarships for members for up to 2 components per 3 credits.
Yes, I am a Vermont-NEA Member
No, I am not a Vermont-NEA Member
I am interested in becoming a Vermont-NEA Member.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service