House Orientation Aide Application for Autumn 2019
HOUSE ORIENTATION AIDES:
Approximately 140 positions available for Autumn 2019; each House has between three and four House O-Aides.
A successful House O-Aide is resourceful, creative, friendly, and outgoing as they serve as a primary contact for new students in their House during Orientation Week and beyond. House O-Aides are selected by Housing and work with the Housing & Residence Life staff under the supervision of their Resident Head(s).
House O-Aides are directed by their Resident Head(s) to complete projects within the House during Orientation Week. Duties include, but are not limited to: welcoming new students to campus, assisting with the first-year move-in process, creating a sense of House community, and serving as a leader on House Activities Night and other events during Orientation Week.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
House O-Aide candidates must:
1. Complete this online application
2. Attend one (1) information session at one of the following dates & times in the McCormick Tribune Lounge. (Located in the Reynolds Club - 1st Floor):
Monday, April 8th - 6:00 pm or 6:30 pm
Friday, April 12th - 3:00 pm or 3:30 pm
Monday, April 15th - 6:00 pm or 6:30 pm
*Tuesday, April 23rd- 8pm or 8:30pm*
*Please contact Assistant Director of Residence Life Chris Hardin (
) if you cannot attend one of those information session times.
3. Live in the House in which they intend to work as a House O-Aide. Please note on the application if you are changing Houses for next year.
Applications are due on Friday, April 26, 2019 at 4:30pm. We hope to contact all selected candidates on or before Friday, May 3rd.
(Dates and times are subject to change; final dates will be set in early May and will be shared at the orientation session.)
In order to become a House O-Aide, the following expectations must be met:
• Selected candidates will attend an orientation session in May (Date TBD)
• Move in during the week of September 16, 2019
• Attend orientation and training
• Not work at other jobs (on-or off-campus) during training or Orientation Week
• Not be an active leader or participant in an RSO or RSO event during training or Orientation Week
• Be available to their Resident Head(s) before and during O-Week
• Work with Resident Head(s) to prepare and decorate the House for the arrival of new students
• Lead informal trips to various locations throughout Hyde Park and Chicago
• Meet with Resident Head(s) and follow through on established expectations and projects
• Assist Resident Head(s) with implementation of all Orientation programs and events
• Be available to help welcome students in their Houses during Pre-Orientation
• Assist House staff with move-in
• Be available to organize and create House banners for Convocation & Class Procession
• Be available to help organize House Activity Night
• Be available to attend Resident Deans Activity Night
• Attend the Aims of Education Address and the subsequent colloquium in your House
• Serve as a mentor for all new students and transfer students
• Abide by all Housing & Residence Life Rules and Regulations for the duration of Orientation 2019
• House O-Aides may not host overnight guests in the rooms during Orientation 2019
House O-Aides will:
• Develop leadership and interpersonal skills
• Mentor and support House residents in the incoming first-year class
• Move into Housing early
• Use provided dining plan to dine at your House table during training and throughout Orientation
Name (as listed in the University Directory)
House in Autumn 2019
UChicago Email Address
Year in School
Rising 2nd Year
Rising 3rd Year
Rising 4th Year
What are the most important qualities or skills you bring to the House O-Aide role?
Discuss an aspect of your House (a tradition, an event, etc.) that you enjoy and would like to carry on.
What is one resource or campus tradition at UChicago that you wished you had learned about during O-Week?
What is one challenge for students at UChicago that you wished you had learned about during O-Week?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service