Pepperdine University and CELIN at Asia Society Survey of Chinese Early Childhood Education Programs
The purpose of this survey is to better understand the types and needs of early childhood education programs that offer Chinese for at least half of its instructional time. All information will remain anonymous. The survey will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. Thank you in advance for taking the time to complete it.
I. SCHOOL CONTEXT
The following section is about your school's history and context.
1. In what city and state is your early childhood education (ECE) program located?
2. In what year was your ECE program established?
3. Which word best describes the nature of your ECE program?
Public (e.g., district, Head Start)
4. Which context best describes your ECE program?
5. What percentage of students in your ECE program are from lower socioeconomic backgrounds? (e.g., free or reduced lunch in formal K-12 contexts)
6. What are the racial/ethnic composition and percentage of students in your ECE program, according to the following categories: African-American, Chinese, Asian (non-Chinese), Hispanic/Latino, More than one race, White, Other? (e.g., African-American 5%; Chinese 15%, ...)
7. What languages are spoken in the homes of children in your ECE program? (check all that apply)
II. PROGRAM FEATURES
The following section provides is used to determine prominent features in your ECE program.
8. How many students were enrolled in your ECE program at the beginning of the 2019-20 academic year?
9. How many teachers are there in your ECE program?
10. What is the teacher : student ratio in your ECE program? (1 : 6 ratio, 1 teacher to 6 students)
11. On average, how many teaching aides are there in each classroom?
12. How many administrators are there in your ECE program?
13A. What is the minimum age requirement for children to enroll in your ECE program?
2 years old
3 years old
4 years old
13B. What is the highest age group in your ECE program?
2 years old
3 years old
4 years old
5 years old
13C. What age groups does your ECE program serve? (check all that apply)
2-3 year olds
3-4 year olds
4-5 year olds
5-6 year olds
14A. How many hours are in your typical school day?
3-4 hours (half day)
4 plus -6 hours (full day)
6 plus hours (extended day)
14B. Are children enrolled in your ECE program for five days a week?
No (Please go to Q14C)
14C. If children are not enrolled for five days a week, how many days a week of enrollment does your ECE program offer (i.e., flexible enrollment)? (check all that apply)
15A. Does your ECE program follow an *immersion model? (*Definition: An immersion model is when at least half of the instructional time is provided in the target language)
Yes (Please go to Q15B)
No (Please go to Q15C)
15B. If you answered "yes" to 15A, which model does your program follow?
90/10 or 80/20
Graduated model (e.g., 90/10 to 50/50)
15C. If you do not follow an immersion model, how much time is Chinese offered on a weekly basis (e.g., 60 minutes)?
III. CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
The following section is about the curriculum and instruction approaches adopted in your ECE programs.
16. Does your program subscribe to any of the following curricula? (check all that apply)
Our Own Creation
Project Head Start
17. Which instructional approaches are used in your ECE program? (choose top three options)
18. Which curricular emphasis can most appropriately describe your program? (check top three options)
Global Citizenship & Issues
Performing and Visual Arts
Physical Education & Sports
19. What types of Chinese literacy practices occur in your classrooms? (check all that apply)
Early Writing (e.g., copy, color, trace, strokes, stroke order, basic hanzi／汉字)
Independent Student Reading
Listening to Stories
Teacher Reading Aloud
IV. PARENT AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
The following section is about parent and community involvement in your ECE programs.
20. How does your school communicate with parents? (check all that apply)
Newsletters and Notices
Phone calls, text messages or emails
PTA Meetings and Open House
21. How are parents involved in your school? (check all that apply)
Parent chaperones on field trips
Parent helpers in school events
Parent volunteers in the classroom
22. What are 1 to 3 effective strategies that you have used to support parents in their children's Chinese language development?
V. NETWORK AND RESOURCES
The following section is about participating in a national network of Chinese language/immersion ECE programs.
23. Would a national network of Chinese language/immersion ECE programs be beneficial in your work?
24. What resources would benefit you in your work? (check all that apply)
Assessment and Advocacy Packets
25. Are there any ideas or suggestions that you would like to share with us? (optional)
Thank you for participating in this survey. To increase your program's visibility and marketability, please ensure you are included in the CELIN program database at https://asiasociety.org/china-learning-initiatives/find-or-document-student-program.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of New York University.