Each year they honor five individuals for outstanding work with special education students. The five awards will be given in the following categories:
1. Special Education Award: special education teachers, special education administrators, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech therapists, teacher consultants.
2. General Education Award: general education teachers, administrators, counselors.
3. Contributor Award: paraprofessional/health care aide (special education, and general education) food service workers, transportation staff, maintenance staff, secretaries.
4. Employer/Business Award: employer/business that has done exemplary work with employment, training, or working with students with disabilities.
5. Peer Mentor Award: A student who has voluntarily invested his/her time in helping one of his/her peers with special needs. S/he has a passion for helping others with disabilities.
To receive one of these awards is a true honor; please take a few minutes to consider nominating a worthy candidate from your building or district. All nominations are due no later than March 13, 2017.
This year's banquet for celebrating with these awards is Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 5:00 PM. Invitations will be going out soon.