Any parent interested in having their child attend the dual language program must understand and commit to the following statements:
1. I understand my child will receive Language Arts -Kindergarten to first grade- in their native language; in grades 2nd-5th grade, Language Arts instruction will be in English and Spanish. Guided Reading instruction for all students will be in their native language. My child will receive Math instruction from Kindergarten to fifth grade in English only.. My child will receive Science and Social studies instruction from Kindergarten to fifth grade in Spanish only.
2. I agree to value the integrity of both languages, and I will assist my child in learning both languages to the best of my ability.
3. I commit to participation in the program for at least six years or through fifth grade.
4. I realize my child will be in a classroom that has a balanced number of English-dominant children and Spanish-dominant children based on enrollment interest.
5. I understand that regular and punctual student attendance is required to retain placement in the Dual Language Program.
6. I understand my child will continue to learn and develop academically, socially, and culturally in his/her first language through the duration of the program while developing bilingual (understanding and speaking) and biliterate (reading and writing) competencies in Spanish and English in all subjects.
7. I understand that if I move out of the district, I will be required to provide transportation for my child.
8. I understand that learning a second language is a gradual process, and it is not unusual for children to experience some fatigue and/or tears and frustration during the first months of the program. Knowing this, I will be patient and supportive of my child during this transition time.
9. I realize the children in the Dual Language Program could remain together from kindergarten through fifth grade.
10. I will commit to attend the Dual Language Program parent meeting, participate in Dual Language Program events, and support the program and classroom teachers.
11. I understand that my child will have an opportunity to attend the middle school dual language program provided qualifiers are met, which will be communicated to me in advance.
12. If my child is not making adequate progress in the program, I agree to work with the school to determine next steps.
13. I understand that if my child qualifies for English learner services, those needs will be met through Scott School's Dual Language Program.