Philly's Little Sit 10/17 8am-11am Bartram's Garden
Join Philly Queer Birders, In Color Birding Club, and Feminist Bird Club for a stationary birding event, the Little Sit, at Bartram's Garden on Sunday, October 17th 8am-11am! This will be a morning of intentionally accessible birding in support of Birdability Week! Birdability Week is a celebration of birders with disabilities and is an effort to make birding more accessible for all. We encourage people with all skill levels to attend (even if you have never been birding!) and if you have an accessibility question, request, or need, please include it below. All are welcome!
What's a "little sit?" The Little Sit is our answer to a typically day-long, stationary birding event called a "big sit," where groups try to see as many birds in one location as possible. For reference:
For our event, folks are welcome to show up at any time between 8am-11am and stay for as long or as short as they want. We'll have a few light snacks and encourage people to bring outside chairs, picnic blankets, or anything that will make you comfortable spending a morning birding in one location (rather than walking). We'll have name tags where you can also write your pronouns if you want and so you can easily meet other birding friends!
- The restrooms in the stable yard each have a wheelchair-accessible stall, though the restroom doors are not automated. A water fountain is located outside the bathrooms. Please note, bathrooms open at 9am.
- There is a step down to enter the Bartram house, and stairs with a handrail to the upper floors.
- We plan to host the sit on the south side of the Bartram House, just a short walk from the parking lot. There is a paved path to get to the area. Google Maps location:
- There are two accessible parking spaces in the parking lot.
- The sit will last 3 hours, though birders can show up and leave at their leisure.
- We will try to provide extra chairs for folks who need (if you have extras, consider bringing them!) as there is only one bench in this area of the garden.
- We do not currently have a cap on attendees as we want to welcome as many birders as possible, but we could see as many as 50 people throughout the morning (though likely not all at once).
- Masks are not required outside, but we welcome and respect folks masking to their comfort level. Masks are required inside, so make sure to bring one for the restrooms, etc.
Bartram's Garden is located at 5400 Lindbergh Blvd. and can be accessed using the 36 trolley, by car, or by bike (bike racks on site). Several extra binoculars will be available for those who need and we may have a scope on-site to view birds farther away and more clearly! We can expect to see songbirds migrating, peak raptor migration, and though we won't be down at the water, we may be able to see waterfowl overhead since we'll be close to the river.
While we are wrapping up our event at 11am, Bartram's Garden is hosting Sankofa Fest starting at noon! More info:
Philly Queer Birders - @phillyqueerbirders on IG,
In Color Birding Club - @incolorbirdingclub on IG,
Feminist Bird Club - @fbc.philly on IG,
Birdability - @birdability on IG,
Birdability Week -
Bartram's Garden -
If you have any questions, you can DM any of the groups or reach out over email to Elise (she/they)
, Jason (he/him)
, or Karla (they/she)
. We look forward to a great morning of birding with all of you!
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
If you have any accessibility questions, needs, or requests, please include them here. We will do our best to accommodate all!
Is there anything else you want us to know?
A copy of your responses will be emailed to the address you provided.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service