Youth participants will spend six months (September 2019 - March 2020) working with an Alberta nonprofit organization to explore and impact a social issue they care about. Volunteer Alberta will match participating nonprofits with a young person and engage them at the governance level by including them on a board, committee, or council.
Youth will sit at the decision-making table – working together with nonprofits to make space for more young people to engage with the sector. As the next generation of our sector’s governance and leadership, youth bring fresh perspectives to the complex social issues being addressed by the nonprofit sector.
For any questions, please e-mail Eunice Doroni, firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-482-3300 ext. 240.
2) Sign a contract with Volunteer Alberta and their Board mentor to confirm their participation in the program for the entirety of the program (6 months)
3) Attend a 3 day training session in Edmonton on September 13-15 where they will meet their Mentors and learn about board governance (i.e.. different kinds of boards, basic board meeting conventions etc.)*
4) Attend and participate in monthly board related activities (e.g. board meetings, committee meetings, Annual General Meetings) (Approx. 30 hours total over 6 months)
5) Meet with their Board Mentor at least once a month, twice if there are no board meetings during that month (Approx. 1-2 hours monthly)
6) Write 1 monthly reflection for a total of 6 throughout the program as a way for us to constantly evaluate and improve on program components
7) Attend monthly Volunteer Alberta facilitated workshops to continue training and work on developing a project with their regional cohorts
***All approved expenses (e.g. transportation and accommodation) will be paid for by Volunteer Alberta and food will be provided.***
2) Identify primary and secondary Board Mentors to support the youth participant
3) Provide the youth with an initial introduction to the organization (in-person or via telephone)
2) Attend the mandatory training session in Edmonton on September 14-15 and meet their youth participant(s)*
3) Support their youth participant(s) in board meetings by advocating for them, and helping foster a safe environment where youth feel they can contribute and participate
4) Encourage youth to develop their areas of interests and provide opportunities for them to practice their skills (e.g. if the youth participant wants to develop public speaking skills, arrange for them to chair a meeting)
5) Meet with their youth participant(s) at least once a month, twice if there are no board meetings that month (Approx. 1-2 hours monthly)
6) Write 1 monthly reflection for a total of 6 throughout the program, as a way for us to constantly evaluate and improve on program components
JULY 2019: YOUTH INTERVIEWS & MATCHING
AUGUST 2019: CONFIRMATION OF MATCHES
SEPTEMBER 2019: RETREAT (TRAINING DAYS) & OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF PROGRAM - Youth will attend a 3-day retreat in Edmonton* (September 13-15) to learn about board governance, meet the other youth participating in the program, and meet their nonprofit mentors- Nonprofit mentors will attend a mandatory 1.5 day training session in Edmonton* (September 14-15) to learn how they can incorporate youth on their board in meaningful ways, and meet their youth participants
SEPTEMBER 2019 - MARCH 2020:-Youth will attend monthly board/committee meetings with their Board Mentor-Youth will meet monthly (virtually or in-person) for facilitated training sessions with Volunteer Alberta staff-You will meet monthly (virtually or in-person) with their regional cohorts co-create a project
MARCH 2020: WRAP UP- Youth will present their co-created projects to their peers including nonprofit organizations at a wrap-up party by March 31, 2020
*All approved expenses (e.g. transportation and accommodation) will be paid for by Volunteer Alberta and food will be provided