Device Test and Repair Technician
At Biomeme we make things. We make hardware; we work with biological organisms; we hack smartphones. We're looking for passionate people who are skilled with their hands and have impeccable attention to detail. You should be a fast learner and not afraid of tackling challenges both big and small. No task is above or below your pay grade.
Biomeme is as interdisciplinary as it gets. We combine rigorous biology and chemistry with best-in-class hardware and software engineering. It's all wrapped up in sublime user design, with the goal of helping our customers enact real-world change. Guided by data and a belief in the iterative process, we develop elegant solutions to complex problems that demand precision.
Our partners and customers span a wide range of industries across the US, Latin America, Africa and Europe. We've got great traction in health: we're testing for STD's in Philadelphia, Malaria and Ebola virus in Africa, Avian Influenza in Europe, veterinary targets in the Andes and Lyme disease in the US. Outside of health, we have partners in industrial water monitoring, aquaculture, agriculture, conservation biology and more. High school students are testing for mislabeled sushi. Quantified Selfers are tracking their microbiome. Everyday users are even testing their own DNA for genetic markers.
We are also currently working to manufacture and distribute COVID-19 test kits in the United States and Canada. It’s a good time to come onboard.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
AS or BS in Engineering or related field
In this position, you will be joining a team of technicians and engineers involved in the production of battery-operated, portable diagnostics. A Device Test & Repair Technician must be able to identify, repair, and test complex electro-mechanical faults.
Biomeme mobile instruments contain complex circuitry and sensitive optics. Must be comfortable using DMMs, oscilloscopes, and PC aided diagnostic software. Working knowledge of engineering theory, units, and terminology is a must. The ability to debug analog and digital circuity at the system and component level is essential.
Should be comfortable in a fast-paced production environment and demonstrate impeccable attention to detail. You will be directly involved with the engineering and manufacturing staff and thus have extremely good communication skills.
- Assemble small electronic and mechanical components and subassemblies into finished products.
- Join or secure parts in place using hand tools, power tools, adhesives, fixtures, and equipment.
- Perform on-line testing and visual inspection using magnifying devices, measuring instruments, and computerized and electronic test equipment, to ensure parts and assemblies meet production specifications and standards.
- Perform tasks requiring fine motor skills and manual dexterity (ability to work with small parts).
- Follow verbal and written instructions carefully and consistently.
- Enter data into computer databases.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Perform repetitive tasks carefully and consistently.
- Possess corrected vision adequate to perform tasks.
- Work closely with others in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively with fellow team members.
- Work at the pace required to meet production goals.
- Read and follow verbal instructions in English
- Use basic numerical and mathematical skills.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- 1-2 years electronics troubleshooting.
- 1-2 years of electronic printed circuit board test and repair.
- 1-2 years of electronic device assembly and/or testing.
- Comfortable lifting 10-50 pounds from ground and eye level.
- Good vision, and color vision.
Due to ITAR compliance, this position requires candidates to be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, or Protected Individual per 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
Biomeme is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Upper left corner of the form
Video Cover Letter
Please shoot a short video introducing yourself, tell us what you do now and why you are excited about becoming a part of the Biomeme team.
Use your smartphone or webcam - we aren't looking for polished video's but simply an introduction, be yourself! By short we mean 1-2 min. Upload your video to youtube or vimeo as an unlisted video and share the link with us.
Please submit your resume to
In the subject line: Full Name / Resume / Job Title
i.e. Jane Doe / Resume / Device Test and Repair Technician
Please answer the following questions
In one or two sentences please tell us the most impressive thing you have built or achieved.
What was interesting project, preferably outside of work or school that you created?
Submit links to pictures or video if you want to share.
Please tell us about the time you most successfully hacked some (non-computer) system to your advantage.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Biomeme.