We are looking for five captains to join the team as we work on two outreach events: IS ANYONE HOME? (17 - 31 Jan 2018) and the SUPERHERO WE FESTIVAL (1–17 March 2018) that bring together children with and without special needs through the arts.
Please read up on Superhero Me (www.superherome.sg) on our Values, Projects and Mission and update yourself through our social media channels before you apply. This is a paid internship based on the number of days you work with us, with a minimum commitment of 30 days over three months. More details will be shared with shortlisted applicants.
Internship Application Process:
29 Nov – 8 Dec 2017 2359 hours : Internship Application (Google Form + Email CV)11 Dec – 17 Dec 2017 : Face-to-face interview with Superhero Me Team 17 Dec 2017: Results of Application______________________________________________________________________________________________
PART 1: SINGAPORE ART WEEK 2018
Your involvement will begin in early January as we meet on Saturdays, where you'll work with our children and learn about the Inclusive Arts Approach. You'll meet our artists and assist in event production. From 17 – 31 Jan 2018, IS ANYONE HOME? exhibits at National Museum of Singapore as part of Singapore Art Week. You will need to commit to being present mostly during this time period on a roster basis to host school groups, workshops, gallery sit and share our work with the public.
PART 2: SUPERHERO WE FESTIVAL 2018
In February, we will go full steam on preparing for the Superhero We Festival, where we will produce a variety of art workshops to create opportunities for children with and without special needs to socialise. You might be working on artwork prep, hacking recyclables or assisting us with advocacy and training, where we share our work with other non-profits and schools.
Feb 29 to March 17 is full-on, where you'll involve yourself setting up for the Festival, hosting workshops for schools and the public and working with volunteers. The Festival is expected to reach out to 1,500 people and will involve craft and art workshops, movie screenings, talks and more. It will be FUN and HEART, HARD WORK! :) We will wrap up by 24 March 2018.
OUR APPROACH TO INTERNSHIPS:
1) CULTIVATE CURIOSITY : Beyond liking posts on social media, we get a kick out of growing our own people and inspire them to become curious individuals who take action to address issues around them in whatever field of work.
2) INCLUSION, WHAT DOES IT MEAN? Most of your probably have no experience with kids with special needs. Neither did we when we first started. Our kids have fundamentally changed the way we approach people different from us and removed the fear commonly associated with disability. Singapore has a long, long way to go towards inclusion and we believe there is no time better than to start working on that generational change now.
3) TALK LESS, DO MORE: Yes we have to think, reflect and aspire. Beyond that, we have to do. Experience is the best teacher.
ARE YOU WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR?
Empathy : You place yourself in the shoes of others and understand what they're feeling. There is a difference between Empathy and Sympathy (Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw)
Responsibility : Applying for this internship means you are as responsible for the experience as we are. This is not school, this is life (and the lives of others) you're dealing with.
Purpose : You have a strong sense of idealism, purpose and desire to build a kinder Singapore. But you might be lonely and are looking for comradeship to find the way forward.
WHAT'S THERE TO DO?
1. Arts Programming and Facilitation – Create and mentor kids. A bit of everything that makes up the Superhero Me culture.
2. Events Production & Public Facing Work– Assist in logistics, programme execution, managing the public, gallery sitting
3. Media creation for Social Good – You dig social media. You find your soul in words, photos, insta stories and videos. You want to change people's minds and move their online likes to offline visits.
If you got this far, thank you for reading.
Fill up the form and do email a copy of your CV to email@example.com to Jean Loo with the header "Call for Captains 2018" by 8 Dec 2017, 2359 hours. Thank you!