Campus & Community Engagement
The Sustainability Advisory Committee welcomes your comments and questions to feed forward development. Please be sure to hit “submit” at the bottom of the page.
Vision: At Western we build, support and sustain equitable and mutually enhancing relationships throughout campus, our communities, the Salish Sea region and the world.
Input on vision statement:
Goal 1: Western is internally organized to support campus and community engagement to advance sustainability.
• Objective 1.1: Complete a university-wide public engagement alignment process to enhance Western's structure and function for public engagement.
• Objective 1.2: Commit to a campus-wide system for qualitative and quantitative assessment of public engagement efforts.
• Objective 1.3: Follow recommendations of alignment process to incentivize community engagement for faculty, staff, and students throughout the university.
Input On Goal 1 and its objectives:
Goal 2: Western's campus culture and community engagement efforts reflect a strong commitment to environmental stewardship and sustainability.
• Objective 2.1: Redevelop faculty, staff and student orientation programs to emphasize Western's commitment to education for sustainability. New people to campus understand that they are part of the communities and ecosystems, from local to global.
• Objective 2.2: Expand courses and co-curricular programs for first-year students that teach about local and regional sustainability issues through community engagement.
• Objective 2.3: Improve interpretation of campus grounds to enhance understanding and appreciation of the unique cultural and environmental history of the area.
• Objective 2.4: Establish multiple sustainability-infused immersive experiences, cooperatively designed and supported by WWU and community partners, to help build relationships among members of campus and with the broader community.
Input On Goal 2 and its objectives:
Goal 3: Western's sustainability resources are easily accessed by the public.
• Objective 3.1: Enhance web materials that enable the public to access sustainability resources.
• Objective 3.2: Increase use of vibrant, visible, and accessible venues across the Salish Sea Region for community sustainability events.
• Objective 3.3: Create a system for continually learning about evolving local to global sustainability opportunities and challenges.
Input On Goal 3 and its objectives:
Goal 4: Western engages with Coast Salish Peoples of our region to advance sustainability with recognition that the University is located on traditional Coast Salish lands.
• Objective 4.1: Create a University-wide tribal advisory committee to advise the President and University community on issues such as curriculum, campus life and gathering spaces, interactive facilities and operations, and engagement opportunities.
• Objective 4.2: Establish a permanent tribal liaison position to build relationships between Western and the Coast Salish communities.
• Objective 4.3: Expand and enhance institutional partnerships and collaborations with Northwest Indian College.
Input On Goal 4 and its objectives:
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service