Application for Farm Assistant position at Lokoea Farms
Lokoea Farms is an eight-acre family-run farm located in Hale‘iwa. We grow orchard fruit crops, primarily citrus such as Meyer Lemons and Hawaiian Oranges, but also a variety of tropical fruits such as mango, and avocado. We also raise a small flock of chickens for eggs, and create value-added products, such as preserves and dried fruit. We primarily market our products directly to restaurants, grocery stores, and families through Farm Link Hawai‘i.
Lokoea Farms is looking to hire a motivated, hard-working, and detail-oriented person to assist on the farm in Hale‘iwa. Everyone on the farm is responsible for a variety of jobs, including field work, order fulfillment, poultry care, deliveries, repairs and maintenance, and more.
Hours and schedule
● Schedule: 3-4 days per week (Mondays, Fridays, and 1-2 flexible days)
● Hours: flexible, preferably 4 hours/day, preferably 9am-1pm
● Term: 6 month commitment required with option to continue employment upon completion
Harvest, wash, pack produce to complete farm orders, and update farm inventory
Preparing new orchard ground, transplanting trees, pruning, weed management, managing irrigation, and other field work
Weed-whacking, mowing, clearing brush, and other farm upkeep
Spreading fertilizers, compost, and mulch around trees
Maintenance and repairs on farm equipment and irrigation
Poultry care, collecting and washing eggs
Utilizing and updating paperwork and apps to record tasks completed and hours worked
● Good communication skills
● Punctual and reliable
● Ability to work outside in all weather conditions (tsunamis excluded)
● Strong work ethic, motivated, and positive attitude
● Flexibility and desire to learn new methods and farm systems
● Attention to detail and ability to recognize/ do work at high level of quality
● Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people, as well as work alone
● Strong back and knees
● Does not use tobacco or drugs
● Excited to improve the local food system in Hawai‘i
Previous farming experience
Ability to safely operate heavy machinery, such as a forklift, field mower, and tractor
Previous experience maintaining and repairing small engines and machinery
Previous experience maintaining and repairing irrigation systems
Previous experience working construction or similar skills
Compensation and benefits
Starting pay is $11/hour, which may increase to $15/hour with exemplary performance. Housing on the farm and increased hours are a future possibility for the committed and high performing applicant. Promotion to farm manager and a percentage of produce sales as monthly bonuses is a future possibility.
Please feel free to send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
as well as filling out this application. Mahalo!