Hello! My name is Carly Holmes and I'm currently a senior History major and Education minor. Currently there is no organization within the College of Education specifically for aspiring educators of color in the college, unlike other departments/colleges and career paths. I am looking to change that through an organization made specifically for future educators of color.
Our goals are to:
1. Foster community between aspiring educators of color.
2. Help students network with each other, alumni, and the facutly and staff in the College of Education.
3. Prepare students for careers in education and the unique challenges they will face as teachers of color, whilst promoting opportunities that will help students reach their career goals and exposing them to non-typical fields in education. We also hope to advocate the college for a diverse curricula that will prepare aspiring educators for the diverse students they will serve.
4. Service the campus community (PG, DC, MOCO, Baltimore) and expose K-12 students to role models that look like them.
5. Recruitment of more students of color into careers involving education, especially men of color.
If any part of this interest you please fill out this form! You don't have to be an education major to join, as long as you are interested in a career in a education-related field/where you'd work in a school (teaching, education policy, administration, counseling, human development, school social worker, school therapist/psychologist, physical education/health education, etc.) Thank you for reading!
More Information: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vapiFBxaDPAhUaAX6d642aWljNIYrUyUrpF1KDGGL70/edit?usp=sharing