INSS Interdisciplinary Student Symposium Application
We're excited to add a new element to our 2017 INSS conference - an opportunity for graduate students to work with other graduate students and some faculty on your sustainability research questions and ideas in person. We welcome students from any discipline, and are designing this to be a valuable experience that can be included on students' CVs.
Date: June 5, 2017 (the first day of the conference - students will be expected to attend conference through June 7)
Location: University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Deadline for application: April 28, 2017
Travel funding, if needed, is available
- Conference keynote speaker David Ludlow will be addressing attendees
- 5 minute presentations (to be prepared in advance of symposium) by each attendee on how their discipline addresses sustainability and/or their own research; students will refine these presentations with new perspectives gained from discussions & present a revised version at conference on 6/7
- Discussion of pre-assigned multi-disciplinary readings on sustainability, including those proposed by students*
- Discussion of own research with peers and faculty; opportunity to get feedback
- Student poster (or other interactive materials) session on 6/6: please submit abstracts using this link (
); first prize will receive $500
* We are asking each student to submit an article they find foundational to their research. These will be compiled into an multi-disciplinary literature review.
After the workshop, we plan to collaboratively co-author with interested participants an analysis of this effort to bridge disciplinary divides to submit to a pedagogically-oriented journal.
More information on the 2017 conference and INSS is at
Please send any questions to
Affiliation (university and degree program)
Advisor and their email (to be used as a reference)
Please identify an article that has strongly informed your view on sustainability (provide citation and paragraph description on why and how it relates to your discipline)
If you're interested in receiving travel funding, please provide your home address and phone number for travel arrangements, as well as your preferred departure airport and any special requests for your flight or accommodations (we will try to meet them).
Are you submitting a poster for the student poster session?
Please email the PDF of a paper about sustainability that you have found important for your own research to
. These are due April 15.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of UNC Charlotte.