By submitting this application, your parents/guardians and you understand that you are making a commitment to the yearbook staff, and will be responsible for learning academic skills, as well as applying them to the production of the yearbook. You understand that this is a unique learning opportunity and that assignments will be related to yearbook production and marketing. Evaluation of your performance will be made not only on the mastery of skills, but also on their hands-on application. You also know that time outside of class must be devoted to accomplish the assigned tasks, and that the adviser must be able to request that extra time in order to meet deadlines. By signing this application, you all agree to that extra time commitment.
Participation in yearbook affords students more freedom than most other classes. Members are required to take on a great deal of responsibility and must exhibit a high degree of maturity, good judgment, self-pacing, self-motivation, conscientiousness, and independent thinking.
As members of a group that produces a concrete product that will be sold to and read by both students and adults, those chosen for the staff can expect to be held to accepted journalistic standards and ethical practices. Their actions must always be in the best interest of the yearbook program, present and future.
As individuals, Skyliner staff members are recognized by many as representatives of the Skyliner staff and R-S Central High School, whether actually on an assignment or not. Students should remember that they are also representatives of the adviser, as well, and will be expected to conduct themselves accordingly.
As evidence that you have read and fully understand the responsibilities of staff membership, both you and your parents/guardians should read the statements below.
As a potential member of the Skyliner yearbook staff, I am in complete understanding of and agreement with the following:
1. I will not take advantage of the freedom that is given to staff members to leave class to complete assignments for the staff, or to leave campus to run yearbook errands. I will not use my duties as an excuse for wasting time, socializing, or disturbing other classes.
2. I will meet all deadlines for assignments, rewrites, edits, and other projects. If I find that it may be difficult for me to meet a deadline, I will inform my editor at the earliest possible opportunity. I further understand that missing deadlines or turning in deficient work WILL RESULT IN LOWERED GRADES. I understand that my grades may not always be A’s.
3. I understand that I am expected to devote sufficient time to completing assignments and other production requirements, just as I am expected to complete class work and homework for my other classes. This means that I will be willing to devote as many as three to five extra hours weekly, although this may not be required on a regular basis.
4. I understand that there may be an after-school/after-hours time commitment as deadline time approaches, and agree to devote the effort necessary to complete assignments/deadlines.
5. As a representative of the yearbook staff, I agree to abide by standards of good behavior, politeness, and respect to students, faculty, and staff, as well as a devotion to completing my assigned duties that goes “above and beyond” my average work and effort.
6. I understand that selling business ads is an integral part of the production of the Skyliner. In order to qualify as a member of the staff, I agree to sell at least 3 business ads.
7. I understand that much of what will be printed in the yearbook must not be revealed until the books are distributed, and agree to keep such matters confidential.
8. I agree to arrive to class every day on time and ready to work. I understand that this class should be regarded as any other academic class at RS, and that all school rules will be followed, including prohibition of cell phones, unless used specifically for yearbook..
9. I understand that the Skyliner should feature students from all social groups and backgrounds, not just people like me. I will do my best to feature a wide variety of my fellow Hilltoppers on all of my assigned pages, and will not seek to feature my friends above others.
10. I understand that inclusion on the first semester staff does not necessarily guarantee inclusion on the second semester staff, and that the adviser reserves the right to make staff decisions in the best interest of the yearbook program as a whole.
11. Staff-related errands, as well as the selling of ads, are frequently necessary. The submission of this forms is an indication to me that you and your parents/guardians understand these errands are for YEARBOOK PURPOSES, first and foremost. If you decide to eat off campus while running one of these errands, I expect you to do so in 30 minutes or less, which is the time in which you 'd eat if you were on campus. I expect you to obey all rules of the road, and return with at least 15 minutes left in class. I won't write excuse notes for students who return from errands late for 4th period. By submitting this form, you also acknowledge that neither I, nor R-S Central, nor Rutherford County Schools is liable for any off-campus accidents that may occur during any off-campus errands. Please also note that I will never force a student to leave campus, if he/she does not wish to do so.
As a student applying for a position on the 2017-2018 R-S Central Skyliner staff, I agree to all the terms listed above. Further, I understand that failure to abide by the terms of this contract may lead to my dismissal from the staff and/or my receiving a failing six weeks and/or final grade. By submitting the form, I acknowledge that I do so with the full knowledge and consent of my parents/guardians.
As a parent/guardian of the student applying for a position on the 2017-2018 R-S Central Skyliner staff, I understand the nature of work on the yearbook staff, and offer full consent for my child to submit this application. Further, I agree to help my child meet success in this class in any way I can.