Causes of the Civil War Test Part 1
Your LAST Name
Your FIRST Name
Your class period
1. Which of the following was a characteristic of the North before the Civil War?
2. Which part of the country had the largest population in the years before the Civil War?
D. None of these
3. From which of the following countries did many immigrants arrive in the years before the Civil War?
A. Mexico and South America
B. Poland and Russia
C. Ireland and Germany
D. Canada and Greenland
4. Which of the following was a characteristic of slavery?
A. long days of hard work
B. no freedom or education
C. families torn apart
D. all of these
5. Which of the following political groups worked to end slavery?
A. Big Pharma
6. Which of the following men below was known as the Great Compromiser?
A. Abraham Lincoln
B. Lavar Ball
C. Henry Clay
D. John C. Calhoun
7. As a result of the Missouri Compromise, which two states below entered the Union in 1820 avoiding Civil War?
A. Missouri and Maine
B. Missouri and Massachusetts
C. Missouri and Alaska
D. Missouri and Ohio
8. Why was Westward Expansion a problem when it came to the issue of slavery?
A. there was an attempt to keep balance of free and slave states in the Senate
B. the entire nation wanted slavery to expand to the Pacific
C. the English had outlawed slavery in the new territories
D. the nation agreed to end slavery as part of westward expansion
9. Why did a system of slavery develop in the Southern states?
A. the English proclamation demanded that people in the South own slaves
B. slavery developed but eventually died out after the invention of the cotton gin
C. slavery was the most profitable labor force when running a plantation
D. slavery was brought to the South by northern planters
10. Which of the following crops was "King" in the Southern States before the Civil War?
11. The Compromise of 1850 included which of the following states?
12. Which of the following was a book that played a role in the start of the Civil War?
A. Of Men and Mice
B. Uncle Tom's Cabin
C. Chasing Lincoln's Killer
D. The Jungle
13. Write a paragraph answering the following question: Compare characteristics of the North and South before the Civil War.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service