We are committed to building a Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) base of frontline communities most affected by the effects of climate change. 350.org
will be piloting the BIPOC Climate Leadership Program, a training and leadership program created by Black organizers at 350.org
dedicated to climate and racial justice. The BIPOC Climate Leadership Program was conceived to equip organizers with the toolkit needed to tackle systems of environmental oppression in 2020 and beyond.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
1) The program will consist of 4 online training modules with assignments from May 2020-August 2020 centered around climate justice and organizing. There may be a potential in-person gathering in the late summer/early fall for select members. The cost of the training is free to participants.
2) Accepted applicants will be part of a cohort of 20-30 BIPOC climate leaders advancing climate justice with an intersectional analysis.
-Train up emerging BIPOC leaders with a climate justice lens
-Provide a framework for organizers to think through the intersections of organizing as a non-white individual
-Provide a robust resource bank of materials
-Capacity build around 350.org
-Provide the skills for program participants to train other organizers in their region
What do we look for in a cohort member?
1) No age requirement
2) Commitment to advancing climate, economic, and racial justice
3) Record of community leadership and community organizing
4) We strongly encourage women, immigrants, people with disabilities, working class, and LGBTQ BIPOC folks to apply.
2020 MODULE DATES:
Module 1: Saturday, May 23rd 10am-1pm PST / 1-4pm EST
Module 2: Saturday, June 27th 10am-1pm PST/ 1-4pm EST
Module 3: Saturday, July 11th 10am-1pm PST/ 1-4pm EST
Module 4: Saturday, August 8th, 10am-1pm PST/ 1-4pm EST
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS
1) Must identify as Black (African-American, African, Caribbean etc.), Indigenous or a person of color
2) Cohort members must be available to attend all of the workshops listed above
3) Cost: Free! Those selected for the in-person gathering will have their travel and housing covered by 350.org
4) Application end: May 8th @ 11:59pm
In addition to the application, we request you submit a short video of yourself (no longer than 1 minute) so we can get a better sense of who you are, your personality and your interest in the program. Using your phone’s recording function will suffice. Please ensure videos are no larger than 25MB so they can be sent as an email attachment.
Please email your resume and video submission to Dominique Thomas (email@example.com
) and Tianna Arredondo (firstname.lastname@example.org
) by the deadline. The subject line of the email should read BIPOC CLP-YOUR NAME. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us.