c01-04 Practice Quiz
On this quiz, score 80% or higher, and receive a +5 bonus on the test.
Your LAST Name:
1. Positive feedback differs from negative feedback because ________.
positive feedback provides moment-to-moment wellbeing while negative feedback causes a cascade effect
positive feedback is critical to health while negative feedback serves only to alert us to potential health threats
positive feedback tends to enhance the triggering stimulus while negative feedback tends to return the body to a homeostatic balance or "ideal" level
positive feedback is generally beneficial while negative feedback is typically harmful
2. The lungs deliver a regular supply of oxygen to the blood, which is in turn circulated to most all the cells of the body. At the same time oxygen is consumed during aerobic cellular respiration within these cells. This implies that ________.
oxygen will passively diffuse into the cells
the concentration gradient for oxygen is steepness inside of the cell
oxygen requires active transport to enter most cells
the rate of oxygen diffusion is independent of concentration
3. Which of the following would be of most importance to goblet cells and other glandular epithelia?
4. Phospholipids make up most of the lipid part of the cell membrane. Since water exists on both the outside and inside of a cell, which of the following phospholipid arrangements makes the most sense?
a single layer of phospholipids with the polar heads facing outside the cell
two back-to-back phospholipid layers with the non-polar tails facing out on both sides
two back-to-back phospholipid layers with the polar heads facing out on both sides
a single layer of phospholipids with the polar heads facing inside the cell
5. Crenation (shrinking) is likely to occur in blood cells immersed in ________.
a hypotonic solution
an isotonic solution
a hypertonic solution
6. Which of the following is NOT found in cartilage but is found in bone?
7. In certain kinds of muscle cells, calcium ions are stored in ________.
both smooth and rough ER
the smooth ER
the rough ER
8. Which of the following does NOT describe enzymes?
Some enzymes are protein plus a cofactor.
Each enzyme is chemically specific.
Enzymes work by raising the energy of activation.
Some enzymes are purely protein.
9. Beta cells in the pancreas produce and secrete the protein hormone insulin. You would expect to see a relatively large amount of which organelles in these cells?
cytoskeleton, and peroxisomes
mitochondria, and cilia
Golgi apparatus, rough endoplasmic reticulum
smooth endoplasmic reticulum, and lysosomes
10. Which of the following is NOT considered a factor in influencing a reaction rate?
concentration of reactants
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service