IKKiCON - Cosplay Contest
IKKiCON Cosplay Contest
While we are an anime convention and put a strong emphasis on costumes from anime, manga, Japanese video games, etc. costumes from sci-fi, movies, American comics, Korean sources, original designs, etc. are also allowed for entry.
• Entrants must have a valid IKKiCON badge in order to participate.
• Entrants 13 and under must have their parents’ permission to enter, and must be accompanied by a legal guardian or adult relative at the show.
• By entering this contest you agree to read and abide by all rules as posted and that failure to do so will result in your disqualification from the contest and/or removal from the event.
• IKKiCON Cosplay Staff reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone to the Cosplay event for any reason.
• You must also have made at least 70% of your costume and be willing to participate in craftsmanship judging. • The only exceptions to this rule are for the Youth division.
These are guidelines to help you figure out where you should be placed. If you have questions, feel free to ask a judge or staff member to assist you. Judges and Staff reserve the right to move your placement.
This is a category for all our 12 and under cosplayers.
• The Youth category will not be judged for craftsmanship and therefore are excluded from the 70% rule and craftsmanship judging. Awards for this category will be based on performance and trueness to character.
• Please note that if you would like to participate in craftsmanship judging and are under the age of 12 you are welcome in the Novice category.
• A child wearing a costume designed and built entirely by an adult should be entered in either the appropriate skill division for the adult or as an exhibition piece.
The Novice division exists to encourage people who are new to costuming and masquerades to compete.
DO NOT enter the Novice division if:
• You are a professional costumer.
• You have competed or won an award in Journeyman/Masters/Advanced at IKKiCON or any other convention.
• You have won Best in Show or Best Youth at any convention; or Best Novice more than three times.
• If you are above 12.
• You are new to costuming, have never competed before, or are not a professional costumer.
• You have won a major award in the Novice division less than three times.
The Journeyman division is an interim division for costumers who have consistently won awards in the Novice division, but who feel they are not yet ready to compete in the Master division.
DO NOT enter the Journeyman division if:
• You are a professional costumer.
• You have competed or won in the Master divisions.
• You have won Best in Show, Best Youth, or Best Journeyman.
• You have won more than three major awards in the Journeyman division.
• Minor awards may be counted at the discretion of the costumer.
• You are above 12.
• You have been cosplaying for a number of years but do not yet feel like a master of your craft or are not a professional costumer.
• You have won more than three major awards in the Novice division or less than two in the Journeyman division.
The Master division is open to any competitor who wishes to enter.
• You are no longer a Youth, Novice, or Journeyman. Anyone may enter this category.
• You are not a professional cosplayer.
• If you have questions or are not sure what category you qualify for, cosplay staff would be happy to help you figure it out. If you are entering as a group you must enter under the highest placing member.
We want to keep the competition fun and fair, so anyone found competing outside of their level will be moved or, depending on the circumstances, disqualified. Additionally, no sandbagging of costumes is allowed. This means if your costume has won a major award before, you cannot enter it again without changing at least 50% of the entire entry piece. If you are found competing in a costume that has already won a major award you will be disqualified and potentially barred from competing in following years. In order to prevent sandbagging, entrants wishing to compete with costumes that have previously won a costume competition must declare this upon registration. Entrants may not compete in a costume that has won a major award at another large convention.
We are once again offering some amazing prizes which we will be updating closer to the convention!
• Best in Show – Best in Show is for the individual or group that has overall the most outstanding craftsmanship and presence.
• Best Advanced – Awarded to the Advanced entry with the best craftsmanship and performance.
• Best Journeyman – Awarded to the Journeyman entry with the best craftsmanship and performance
• Best Novice – Awarded to the Novice entry with the best craftsmanship and performance.
Best Walk-On Performance – This is purely performance based and is awarded to the best walk-on.
• Best Craftsmanship – This is a purely craftsmanship based award.
• Best Youth – This is for the Youth entry with the best performance.
Note: Awards may be cut at the discretion of the judges.
There will be 2 blocks for pre-judging, one on Friday night for 4 hours and the other on Saturday for 3 hours.
Each block will be broken up into 1 hour slots. Entries will request the hourly slot of their choice. Please arrive at the start of your time slot and wait to be called into the judging room. Early is on time and on time is late. If you arrive too late to be judged during your slot you run the risk of being dropped from the show since there may no longer be any other available slots and you must be prejudged in order to participate.
Each entry will be given a maximum of 4 minutes with the judges. Groups over 2 will be given an additional 1 minute per person up to six minutes. In order to ensure everyone gets a chance to be judged fairly we will be timing entries so please make sure to prepare what you want to talk about in advance.
If you do not show up for prejudging by the time your slot is over we will assume you no longer wish to participate and you will be dropped from the show. No exceptions. If you are unable to make your slot for some reason please check in with us BEFORE hand and if we are able, we will move you to a different slot.
We highly encourage entries to get prejudged sooner rather than later as slots closer to the show will be reserved for entries with large/bulky costumes and entries signing up on Saturday.
Lineup will start 90 minutes before the show. You are required to be present in the lineup room one hour before the start time of the show. This time will be reserved for going over rules and getting everyone in order.
• Please remember we are a family convention and all entries must maintain a PG-13 rating and can have no excessive violence, sexual content, ect. This rule also applies to the costume itself. We reserve the right to turn away any entry deemed inappropriate. Not sure if you make the cut? Please ask and we will let you know if it is appropriate and if not how you can make it so. Be clever, not crass!
• Nothing is to be left on the stage. Any props you bring on stage with you must exit with you. You will also not be permitted to throw anything you cannot easily take with you on stage or at the audience. Examples include: props, glitter, petals, confetti, ect.
• For safety, any “battle” sequences or stunts are to be performed at 3/4 speed. You MUST keep one foot on the stage at all times. Absolutely no jumping or leaping from the stage. Anything breaking this rule must have prior approval from the Cosplay Director and the convention.
• A maximum of 8 (eight) people will be permitted on stage at a time.
• While we are an anime convention and put a strong emphasis on anime costumes, manga, Japanese video games, etc. However, costumes from sci-fi, movies, American comics, Korean sources, original designs, etc. are also allowed for entry. That being said, you must be wearing a costume to participate in the cosplay contest.
Please be sure to bring at least one color reference picture with you. While the judges are highly skilled, it is unfair to ask them to know what every anime or sci-fi character is. Bringing a reference picture will ensure that they can accurately judge you. If you are entering with an original character, a drawing is fine. References cannot be guaranteed to be returned, so please make sure you won’t miss it.
• On that note, progress books are HIGHLY encouraged. Examples will be e-mailed upon request.
• Purchased or commissioned cosplays are NOT eligible for any awards and cannot be entered into the contest.
Participation in the Cosplay Contest Pre-meeting is required. Arriving after the pre-meeting will result in being removed from the contest.
• Professional costumers are not allowed to enter. A professional costumer is anyone who makes a significant portion of their income from costume design, construction, or sales.
• Be respectful to other cosplay entrants and the judges. Unruly or disruptive behavior during pre-judging, backstage, or during the contest is not permitted and entrants associated with this behavior will be disqualified. • Entrants will not be notified if they have been disqualified, and judges are not permitted to discuss the judging process or the results. This is to protect entrants, judges and staff as well as to maintain the professionalism of the contest.
• All props must be approved by weapons check. Cosplays with parts that extend beyond arm’s length (e.g. wings), cause trouble walking up and down stairs, or vision impairment: be sure to bring a handler(s) or address your concerns with cosplay staff.
• Cosplays that have won awards at conventions of a smaller size (calculated by attendance) are allowed. Any entrant found to be entering a cosplay which has previously taken a major award at a larger convention (without at least 60% of the cosplay being altered or remade) will be immediately disqualified and risk being banned from future competitions.
• A cosplay that has already won a major award may be entered under ONE of the following conditions:
At the discretion of the directors
• The cosplay is entered as an exhibition piece
• The cosplay is entered into a more experienced skill division
• Failure to inform the judges and staff of previous awards won in the costume will result in being banned from future contests.
• Entrants must be able to enter and exit the stage quickly on their own or with the assistance of a handler. Cosplay staff will not be able to provide a handler for you.
• Please come to the line-up fed and hydrated, as you may not be able to leave the pre-meeting before the show.
The cosplay directors reserve the right to refuse or revoke entry to any entrant for any reason.
Group entries are allowed, limit of 8 entrants. Competing in multiple groups is NOT allowed. You may not enter multiple costumes into the contest.
Walk-Ons will be given 30 seconds to strut their stuff and strike their poses.
We will be capping the show at 100 entries with an additional 12 entries for the Youth category. We will be reserving 30 spots for the advanced category. Any Advanced slots that are unfilled by end of the day on the cut off date will be opened up to entries of every tier. Anyone who has a judging time on Friday night and does not check in by the time the Cosplay Table closes for the day (at 3PM) risks losing their space to someone on the waitlist.
If you do not make one of our 100 entry slots we encourage you to apply to our waitlist. Waitlisted entries can check in on site to see if a space has opened up during the prejudging timeslots.
Signing up in advance will allow you to request the date and hour of your prejudging slot; however it will not guarantee you will get that slot. We will do our best to accommodate everyone; however we can only fit so many people in any given time frame. Once you sign up you will receive an email confirming your entrance and the day you will be pre-judged, as well as an hourly time slot. YOU MUST CHECK IN AT THE COSPLAY TABLE TO RECEIVE AND CONFIRM YOUR PRE-JUDGING SLOT. We encourage you to do this as soon as you can. IF YOU DO NOT CHECK IN WITH THE COSPLAY TABLE BEFORE PREJUDGING YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED INTO PREJUDGING. No exceptions. If you have not checked in with us by the time your slot is over we will assume you no longer wish to participate and you will be dropped from the show.
As long as slots are available you may also sign up for the show on site at the cosplay table. On site sign-ups will be open Friday and Saturday. Full hours to be announced closer to the show.