BBQ in the Glen is a non-sanctioned Kansas City BBQ Society (KCBS) style competition. This one-day event will take place on September 28, 2019, in Willow Glen, CA.
Limited to 8 professional teams.
MEAT & FIRE SOURCE
Contestants cook 3 meats: --- Chicken thighs --- Pork Ribs ( Saint Louis Cut ) --- Tri-tip
Which may be cooked using 3 types of heat sources: --- Wood --- Pellet --- Charcoal (Lump or Briquettes)
Entries are presented blindly to judges in (provided) 9" x 9" (Styrofoam to-go style) containers. Each entry must contain at least six identifiable pieces ie; six ribs, etc. are judged on the following criteria: --- Appearance --- Tenderness --- Taste
The OFFICIAL rules for this contest (PDF): http://bbqintheglen.com/pdf/rules_reg_2017.pdf
PRIZES - PEOPLE'S CHOICE
People's Choice (PC) is mandatory for 2019! The community loved the PC teams last year!
PC tickets/chips are turned in at 6pm day of the event and reimbursed the Friday after the event (5-6 days).
Teams will be able to vend to the public samples of their BBQ in trade for tasting tickets/chips. After the count of tickets/chips is verified, we return a $0.50 payback for every $3.00 face value ticket (within 5-6 days after our staff counts)! The other $2.50 goes directly to our non-profit organization, which will be selling the tickets before and during the event.
BUT WAIT...it gets better! On the day of the event, BBQ in the Glen will provide all the meat! Yep, no purchase on your part and ready for your special preparation, rubs, sauces and cooking talent. And still more... BBQ in the Glen will pay for your Temporary Food permit. And, don't forget the cash prizes offered for the top three PC teams.
To compete in the "People's Choice" you must comply with Santa Clara County EHD rules: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/cpd/programs/TE/Documents/TE_Requirements.pdf
Absolutely no exceptions to these rules!If you do not have a food service screen one can be provided for $100.
Link to what the food tent should look like. https://www.sccgov.org/sites/cpd/programs/TE/Documents/TE_Booth_Enclosure.pdf
BBQ in the Glen is celebrating our 4th annual BBQ competition. This will be the second year we will have professionals teams competing and cash prizes:
Grand Champion (GC) - $1,000Reserve Grand Champion (RGC) - $450
People's Choice (PC) - prizes detailed below
Each Meat (Chicken, Ribs, Tri-tip) will pay down 3 places:
First Place (1st) $250Second Place (2nd) $200Third Place (3rd) $100
People's Choice (Chicken, Ribs, Tri-tip) will have 3 places:
First Place (1st) $250Second Place (2nd) $150Third Place (3rd) MEDAL
A completed W-9 form is required for us to issue ANY contest payments. We will also have them on site so as not to delay payouts.
1) Your team will be required to cook 3 competition meats; Ribs, Chicken, Tri-tip2) All entries must be cooked at the contest, (meat will be provided day of competition after WGBA inspection).3) Contestants will be provided a 10’ x 20’(deep) space. All items must be contained within that space. All grills must be positioned outside the Canopy. Follow DEH requirements:
4) Contest check-in will begin at 5:00AM Saturday, September 28th. Cooking spots will be assigned as you arrive.5) Contestants must be set up in their spots by 7AM. No Exceptions You can light your fire whenready.6) Once your meat is inspected, you may begin cooking.
7) All BBQ stations will be inspected by a contest coordinator (WGBA) prior to the beginning of thecontest. Once inspected you may start cooking. Santa Clara County Department of EnvironmentalHealth (DEH) inspectors will also be doing inspections throughout the day.
8) Teams are responsible for clean-up of their site after the contest
9) 15amp power, water, ash barrels and gray water disposable will be available on site
10) Meat to be cooked by any means using charcoal, wood product, or bbqers that are battery operated.
11) Serving to the public:
--- Aluminum food trays will be provided for holding cooked meat to be served to the public.--- Paper serving trays will be provided for individual serving to the public--- Napkins and Forks provided by Willow Glen Business Association Judging:--- Entries are presented blindly to judges in (provided) 9" x 9" (Styrofoam to-go style) containers. Where they are judged on the following criteria:
- Appearance- Tenderness- Taste
The OFFICIAL rules for this contest: http://www.kcbs.us/downloads/rules_reg_2017.pdf
12) Turn in for judging can be 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the official turn-in time. Turn in times are as follows:
Judging will happen immediately on turn in.
12:00 pm // Chicken | All teams must turn in their chicken for judging12:30 pm // Tri-tip | All teams must turn in their tri-tip for judging1:00 pm // Ribs | All teams must turn in their ribs for judging
13) Judging will be made up of certified KCBS Certified Barbeque Judge and local VIPs
Awards: Grand Champion (GC) - $1,000Reserve Grand Champion (RGC) - $450
Each Meat (Chicken, Ribs, Tri-tip) will pay down 3 places Prize amount ($)First Place (1st) $250Second Place (2nd) $200Third Place (3rd) $100
People's Choice (Chicken, Ribs, Tri-tip) will have 3 places Prize amount ($)First Place (1st) $250Second Place (2nd) $150Third Place (3rd) MEDAL
COMPLETE THIS FORM AND THEN IMMEDIATELY COMPLETE PAYMENT USING THE EVENTBRITE LINK ABOVE. YOU WILL NOT BE SIGNED UP FOR THE EVENT IF YOU ONLY COMPLETE THIS FORM.