Application Deadline: Rolling.
Interviews are scheduled on a rolling basis once application is received.
June 25 - July 29
Spend five weeks in the Green Mountains of Vermont with a dedicated team of education professionals hosting small groups of low-income Boston children and teens for a unique summer camp experience.
For 40 years, EVkids Camp has provided a life-changing summer immersion experience for Boston youth. As an organization with roots in the Catholic commitment to social justice, EVkids Camp supports the physical, mental, and spiritual well-being of our campers. Open to those of all (or no faith) traditions, various elements of camp are inspired from Catholic teachings and spiritual practices. Other structured activities — from volleyball to archery, from theatre improv to chess — build character, community, and sportsmanship. Hiking to the top of Vermont’s 4,000-foot peaks teaches challenging life lessons in perseverance and accomplishment. The impact of the camp experience is transformative for both youth and staff. Camp life is focused on support, positivity, and creating a safe and nurturing environment for our campers and Leaders in Training (LIT).
EVkids Camp is staffed by three Camp Co-Directors and six Camp Counselors who support our youth from low-income families in the Dorchester and Roxbury neighborhoods of Boston. Staff live, work, and share communal space with a dozen EVkids per session (a 2-1 camper to staff ratio) at our newly rebuilt camp farmhouse and barn on our nine-acre site. Camp consists of counselor training and three separate camp sessions (16-18 year old LIT week, 12 & 13 year olds week, and a two-week session for 14 & 15 year olds).
The Counselor Position:
EVkids Camp Counselors are key members of our summer camp staff. Counselors live, work, and share communal space with campers. During the summer, leadership staff will work with counselors to develop their leadership capabilities, an understanding of youth development, and behavior management techniques. At EVkids Camp we are committed to living in both the beauty of Vermont and the present moment. With this in mind, we adhere to a strict technology-free zone for campers and counselors alike. This means limited access to cell phones, internet, or TV. Our supportive community and focus on mindfulness creates a transformative space for campers and counselors alike.
Counselors should commit to the full five weeks of camp.
Compensation will be a one-time $3,000 payroll payment, paid at the end of July.
Required Background and Qualifications:
●Must be 18 years of age by June and preferably at least one year out of high school.
●Ability to attend the full five weeks of EVkids summer camp, including at least 1 virtual pre-camp meeting and training in Spring/early summer 2023.
●Prior experience working with youth required (e.g. teaching, volunteering, coaching; camp counselor).
● Demonstrated leadership abilities and responsibility.
● Demonstrated professional behavior supportive of leading and counseling others.
● Patience, enthusiasm, self-control, mindfulness, and dependability.
● Able to work well with others and follow directions.
● Healthy understanding of professional and personal boundaries with campers and Camp staff team.
● CPR and First Aid Certified desired (EVkids can cover cost).
● Lifeguard certification desired (EVkids can cover cost).
● Prior experience working with youth required (e.g. teaching, volunteering, coaching; camp counselor).
● Ability to physically participate in active camp life (hiking, swimming, sports, cooking, etc.).
● Experience working with low-income youth and diverse populations strongly desired.
● Openness to and appreciation for mindfulness, spiritual reflection, and the Catholic faith with a deep respect for all faiths and spiritualities.
EVkids respects and welcomes staff and volunteers from various backgrounds, motivated to work towards a more equitable, compassionate, and socially just world. We are committed to a diverse workplace and do not discriminate based on race, age, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability.
Please fill out the below questions and also send your resume to Liz Turnwald at email@example.com
to complete your application.