Reading Comprehension 6A
Grade 6, Set A (15 Questions)
Students read and understand grade-level-appropriate material. They draw upon a variety of comprehension strategies as needed (e.g.; generating and responding to essential questions, making predictions, refer to the text, comparing information from several sources). These are some of the many strategies used in 'close reading'.
From Mr. Anker Tests
The Terrible Flight
To the Attention of Sergio Alvardo:
I am writing this letter to inform you of our disappointing experience flying with your airline on December 21, 1998. The flight was Flight 126 (Los Angeles-Torreón-Durango).
To begin with, the flight departed two hours late. On the flight, we found the engine noise unbearable! Upon landing in Torreón, we disembarked to pass through immigration, then were sent back on the plane while the luggage handlers tried to open the luggage compartment with a crowbar (apparently, the key had been lost). An hour later, all of the passengers, including my family with two small children, were taken off the plane again. We waited nearly an hour while your employees worked to open the luggage door. Finally, we arrived in Durango, nearly 7 hours after the departure time. Ours was supposed to be a 3 hour flight. Only 1 out of our 5 suitcases arrived with us.
Incidentally, this was not the first time we experienced such delays with AirCalifornia. A few years ago, our return flight from Durango back to Los Angeles was also delayed by a total of five hours.
On this trip, once we did land, we found that our group’s suitcases again had not been loaded onto the plane. In both incidences, we waited nearly a week for them, having to make dozens of phone calls and trips to the airports before all of the suitcases were returned. These delays and inconveniences ruined many of our holiday plans.
I am hopeful that you will do your best to rectify this situation to our satisfaction and the betterment of your airline.
1. What is the purpose of this letter?
to express complaint about service
to show gratitude for fine service
to inform the company of safety violations
to ask about other routes served by this airline
2. What does the word 'unbearable' mean?
couldn’t stand it
a little noisy
all of the above
3. How many hours longer was flight 126 than scheduled?
seven hours longer
just under three hours longer
nearly four hours longer
Flight 136 arrived on time
4. Which of the words used in the letter means 'improvement'?
all of the above
5. What position with the airline do you think Sergio Alvardo might have?
Pilot of AirCalifornia Flight 136
Luggage Handler at the Torreón airport
Public Relations Officer for the airline
Security Officer at the LAX Customs Office
6. When were the letter writer's suitcases mishandled?
at the end of the departing flight
at the end of the returning flight
at the end of both of the departing and returning flights
none of the above
7. Which of these incidents is the letter writer -not- complaining about?
In case you were wondering how airplane restrooms work, try this site:
the mishandling of his baggage
the level of noise inside the plane
the cleanliness of the airplane restrooms
8. Which word in the letter means that 'a passenger gets off an airplane'?
9. Which of the following is not the title of an airline employee?
Here is a short video about what it is like to be a flight attendant:
10. What does the word 'rectify' mean in the sentence from the letter below?
helping a child be safe
failing to care for properly
arriving to school on time
all of the above
11. Why did the passengers first get off the plane in Torreón?
the flight had ended
to pass through immigration
the luggage had not been delivered
there were engine problems with the plane
12. Why did the complainants make so many phone calls and trips to the airports after the flights?
to pick up relatives as they arrived
to return their rental car
to try and get their suitcases back
to make reservations for a future flight on the airline
13. This type of letter would be similar to one where a person...
...refuses to pay parking citation.
...complains about an air conditioner installer’s poor work.
...makes a letter of recommendation for a good employee.
...sends a holiday greeting to a friend in Mexico.
14. What response to this letter would Sergio Alvarado most likely make?
send a letter of apology for poor service
invite the letter writer to work for the airline
send a coupon for Henry’s family for free flights for life
any of the above are possible, but don't hold your breath...
15. What do you think Henry Anker would do the next time he plans to fly with his family to Durango, Mexico?
choose another airline to travel with
arrive at the airport earlier
fly with no luggage
make sure the family documents are in order
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service