CHIA invites you to submit an oral or poster presentation proposal for its 23rd Annual Educational Conference on March 24-25, 2023 in San Diego, CA.
Presenting at CHIA’s Conference is a rewarding opportunity. If your proposal is selected, you will receive the recognition and appreciation from everyone at CHIA and attendees to the Conference.
By contributing to the advancement of the profession and education of healthcare interpreters, you will build up your résumé, and gain recognition from interpreters and your peers. Your name and bio will be listed in the conference mobile app and featured in all communications to CHIA’s membership (email, social media, website, etc.). Presenters attend the conference at a discounted registration rate. CHIA submits and pays for the CEU applications. You will receive a Presenter ribbon with your attendee badge, giving you recognition throughout the Conference. Following the conference, presenters will be offered the opportunity to participate in CHIA’s on-site regional trainings or monthly webinar series.
Priority will be given to presentations that fit the conference theme. The following are topic ideas:
a) Language Access, and LEP patient rights
b) Medical terminology and healthcare concepts
c) Interpreting in specific medical specialties
d) Culturally and linguistically appropriate health care services
e) Skills needed for interpreting in specialized health care settings
f) Skills for different interpreting modalities
g) Work benefits or challenges for contract interpreters, freelance, staff interpreters, bilingual employees
h) Applications of technology
i) Interpreter health and wellness
This will be CHIA’s 6th
year offering poster presentations! This is a popular opportunity for attendees
to review interpreting trends and programs, while networking with the
presenters. The following topics are well-suited for poster presentations:
- Findings related to research in interpreting, language access, etc.
- Novel processes for interpreting, management,
testing, teaching, etc. that have been successfully implemented
- Model system approaches to language access
- Groundbreaking technology, products, etc.
- Language-specific medical terminology
Please note that it is
not necessary to have a large printout made for our sessions (though you are
certainly welcome to do so!). If printing cost is an issue for you or your
organization, you may create standard-sized printouts and design the layout
accordingly. Remember that photos and images (e.g., charts) are a nice touch!
The goal is to create a strong visual impact with your poster in order to
attract your audience and then provide more detailed information in a handout.
IF ACCEPTED, you (and up to one co-presenter) will be required to register for the conference at a rate of $160. Additional co-presenters are not eligible for the discounted rate. Presenters cover their own cost for travel and lodging.
DETAILS IN THIS PROPOSAL SHOULD BE THOSE YOU WISH TO APPEAR ON THE CONFERENCE MOBILE APP.
PROPOSALS DUE: Tuesday, Dec 6, 2023 by 5pm PT
PRESENTERS NOTIFIED (if accepted or declined): Tuesday, Dec 20, 2023
You may submit ONE OR MORE proposals for either of the following:
1. Workshop (2 hours) - We have limited space for workshops, only 4 will be accepted. These are INTERACTIVE skill-building presentations taking place on FRIDAY MORNING ONLY. Presentation must be eligible for CCHI performance-based CEUs.
2. Breakout Session - These presentations are 60 minutes long taking place Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. Must be eligible for CEUs.
3. Poster Presentation - These are one-hour interactive sessions taking place on Friday evening. Posters are displayed for viewing all day on Saturday as well. Must be eligible for CEUs.
CHIA will provide the following audiovisual support for ORAL presentations:
- LCD projector with standard connection to computer
- Projection screen
- Wired Microphone, one or more depending on availability
CHIA will provide the following audiovisual support for POSTER presentations:
- One foam board, measuring 40”x30”, poster putty and an easel. The CHIA Poster Presentation Guidelines will be sent with further details.
- At the Friday reception, each presenter will have a high-boy table on which to place any handouts, business cards, etc.
CHIA will NOT provide the following :
- Computer or laptop
- Speakers (for audio video-play from computer)
- Cordless/wireless microphone
- Special adapters for laptop, tablet and/or Smartphone
- Wi-fi access for video streaming (make sure all video content is viewable offline)
- Document photocopies