2021 AAMI “Honor Our Veterans” Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Bridge - African American Military Banner Project
The African American Museum of Iowa is pleased to accept submissions for a banner project that recognizes and honors African American Iowans who are current or former members of the United States Armed Forces. The project is intended to recognize and show appreciation for African American veterans and military personnel and their families who have ties to the state of Iowa. Banners will display a photo of the service person, as well as their name, branch, and dates of service. This project has been made possible by a generous contribution from the Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust.
Submissions are limited to the first 32 completed forms (with payment) on a first come, first served basis and are due no later than March 15, 2021 (or when 32 completed submissions have been received, whichever is sooner).
BANNER SAMPLE (portrait of Dr. Robert Carney wearing Army uniform c.1940s. Collection of the AAMI - Gift of Dr. Robert Carney)
To qualify for the African American Museum of Iowa’s “Honor Our Veterans” banner project, the following criteria must be met:
1. The individual is an active, retired, or honorably discharged (including deceased members) of the United States Armed Forces.
2. The service member must currently live in or have lived in Iowa for an extended period of time.
Banner Style and Display
* Each banner will be double-sided, full color, 72” x 30” in size. One side will feature an image of service member (this image should be provided by the applicant) to be honored, and the other side will feature the Museum’s new logo.
* Banners will be displayed on the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Bridge, which welcomes visitors to the African American Museum of Iowa on 12th Avenue SE in Cedar Rapids. Banners will be unveiled leading up to Memorial Day 2021 and will remain up through this fall (they may be re-installed in 2022, depending on wear and tear and inclement weather conditions).
* Up to 32 service members will be honored. There is a limit of one banner per individual, and only one individual may be featured in the submitted photo.
Cost, Details, and Deadline
* Each submission requires a non refundable $25 administrative processing fee at the time of submission, no later than March 15, 2021.
* Applicants are required to provide a high resolution/quality digital [JPEG/JPG] photo of the individual in uniform.
* Submit the digital image to William Whitten at
. If a digital copy is not available, please mail a physical copy of the photo with a postage paid return envelope to the African American Museum of Iowa at 55 12th Avenue SE, Cedar
Rapids, IA 52401, and it will be digitized and returned to you.
* Photos must be received no later than March 15, 2021.
Page 1 of 3
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of African American Museum of Iowa.