Hosted at and presented in conjunction with 10th Anniversary of The Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science (seen in the header photo), a cross-disciplinary organization within Stony Brook University's School of Journalism, in Stony Brook, New York this August 8-11, 2019.
Proposal submissions close on March 15, 2019Notifications sent between May 1-8, 2019
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
● How does Applied Improvisation (AI) help us trust, listen, share, and learn from difference? ● How does AI allow us to exercise and strengthen our empathy, courage, and emotional range? ● How does AI provide to help us practice, model, and teach effective communication? ● What tools and mindsets best help AI practitioners to provide solutions, bridges, and healing?
Exploring these questions and more through shared experience, conversations, performances, discussions, and expert presentations, this conference intends to expand our individual and collective expertise and inspire our work in co-creating a more humane society and healthier planet.
AIN19 Stony Brook, in partnership with the Alan Alda Center For Communicating Science, will explore these niches and provide a view of the wide possibilities and opportunities in Applied Improvisation.
The field of Applied Improvisation is vast and widely diverse. No one does it the exact same way as another. Yet, within our diversity there are categories, or “niches”. Applied Improvisation practitioners are drawn to those niches that best fit their interests, strengths and networks.
Presentations will be selected based on the following criteria:
1. The degree to which the presentation fits within one of the following niche groupings (combined with our desire to create balance across the areas):
a) Communication about Science and Medicine - objective: to communicate complex science and healthcare topics in clear and engaging ways
b) Activism, Social Justice and Civil Discourse - objective: community building, social change, and to strengthen dialogue and democracy
c) Service Of (Personal Growth or Healing the World) - objective: healing people/planet, spiritual exploration, and/or personal growth
d) Academia/Education/Research - objective: greater knowledge or the implementation of AI in academia
e) Business/Organizations - objective: giving groups/organizations skills/tools to perform better
f) Innovative Arenas (Other) - objective: developing within unique applications or populations served
2. The level of interaction and use of diverse teaching styles.
3. The variety of areas and individuals represented.
The AIN World Conference 2019 Stony Brook Committee would like to heighten the contributions and influence of people of color, people who are differently-abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community from around the world as presenters, performers and participants of the 2019 AIN Stony Brook Conference. We encourage professionals from these communities who are doing work that communicates over barriers or is improvisational or experiential, to submit to present to this conference.
PROPOSALS ARE DUE BY March 15, 2019.
If your proposal is accepted, you will be notified between May 1-8, 2019.
If selected, you will be requested to supply a brief description and bio for the program.
* Please note that AIN is a volunteer organization and we are unable to offer gratuity/honorarium to presenters
* Please note that AIN is a volunteer organization and we are unable to offer compensation/gratuity/honorarium in any monetary way to presenters. If selected to present, you'll need to register for the conference during the early bird registration window.
We survive on the enthusiasm and generosity of the larger Applied Improvisation community members to bring their ideas and experiences to this conference. Thank you for being willing to share for the greater good of the community.
If you have any questions or concerns mid-process, feel free to e-mail our team at email@example.com. We will respond to you as soon as we are able (please keep in mind that this is a 100% volunteer organization and we work full time jobs beyond putting together this experience for you - please be patient). Thank you.