Breakthrough Houston (BTH) College Bound Program Mentor Application
*All applications should be submitted as soon as possible. In addition to completing this form, please send a copy of your resume/profile/bio to Kurchi Basu:
Breakthrough Houston Overview
- One of Princeton Review’s Top 10 Internships in America! (formerly Summerbridge Houston)
- BTH is a tuition-free, year-round academic enrichment program with a 6-year commitment for all students
- BTH focuses its attention on academically talented students with limited educational opportunities.
- Our students primarily attend Houston public schools (HISD).
- Students begin the program in the summer following their 6th grade year. The program consists of 3 rigorous, six-week summer
- Sessions and a school-year program for middle school students, and a college bound program for high school students.
College Bound Program Mentor Expectations
- Commit to the current College Bound Program, Sep 2020 - April 2021
- Keep in touch with your mentee(s) via phone calls, emails, online chats, or meetings in public spaces (i.e.: coffee shops) on a regular basis (~1/month) to discuss classes, grades, extracurricular activities, community service and summer opportunities, social life, etc.
- Refer students to BTH academic/college readiness supports if necessary.
Mentor College Bound Calendar 21-22
Sep 11: 12-1pm
Oct 2: 12-1pm
First Semester Check-in
Nov 13: 12-1pm
First Semester Check-in
Dec 11: (Possibly In-Person, time TBD)
Celebration + Ceremony
Jan 8: 12-1pm
Feb 12: 12-1pm
Second semester check-in
March 5: 12-1pm
Summer opportunities planning
April 10: (Possibly In-Person, time TBD)
End of school year wrap-up
Want more information?
or call CALL 832-409-2278
College Bound Program Director
2401 Claremont Ln
Houston, TX 77019
Date of Birth
(attended or currently attending)
(anticipated or otherwise)
(if you are still in school, please list possible future job/career/profession)
My hobbies/interests include...
How did you hear about Breakthrough Houston?
Have you previously been involved with Breakthrough Houston?
(if yes, please list dates and times where possible)
Have you worked for a mentoring/tutoring program in the past?
(If yes, what is the name of the program? For how long did you work for them? What age students? What were your responsibilities?)
Why are you interested in mentoring Breakthrough Houston high school students? What do you hope to gain from this experience, either personally or professionally?
Adolescence is often a tumultuous time during which young people need good role models. Tell us why our students will see you as a role model.
Please list at least two references. Provide us with their names, titles, best contact numbers and emails, and relationship to you (previous employer, professor, current boss, personal, etc.)
I give permission for Breakthrough Houston to conduct a background check as part of the screening process to participate in this program. I understand that the criminal history is subject to review by BTH to determine eligibility to serve as a mentor in the College Bound Program. BTH reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse an individual’s access as a BTH mentor based on an individual’s criminal history, in accordance with applicable law.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of St. John's School.