Thank you so much for helping give a deserving dog a second chance at their forever home.
Fostering rescue dogs is a very rewarding but sometimes challenging endeavour. Please review the following responsibilities required to foster a rescue dog, and if you are able to meet these responsibilities, please complete the foster application form.
As a foster, you will need to be able to provide love, patience, vet care (paid for by Big & Small), exercise, shelter, and quality food for your foster dog.
Please keep in mind, as most of our rescue dogs are strays, we have very little background information about them, and as such have no advanced knowledge of a dog's learned behaviours such as house training, obedience training, compatibility with children or cats etc. but we have a brief understanding of their temperaments.
Big and Small Rescue has no way of knowing the history or temperament of many of the animals coming into our rescue program. Therefore, we want you, as the foster, to be aware and use due caution when handling the foster animal. We ask that you remain aware that any animal may bite if provoked. Please do not permit your foster dog to be provoked by another dog, child, or person.
The dogs can come with existing health issues, and can be dirty, unkempt and/or ungroomed. Based on these known factors, it is imperative that all resident cats and dogs are up to date on all of their vaccines (DHPPV, Rabies and Bordetella). Please consult your veterinarian prior to submitting your foster application.
We ask that the Foster home will honour and fulfill the following:
• Temporarily house and care for animal(s) belonging to Big and Small Rescue
• Treat this animal in a humane and loving way at all times, and to ensure that anyone else caring for or coming in contact with this animal will do the same.
• Meet and respond to queries with potential adopters in a timely fashion, go to adoption events and vet appointments.
• Provide this animal with any necessary medication or vet services approved by and paid for by Big and Small Rescue.
• Keep the animal clean, well-groomed and safe from harm. Feed a wholesome pet food, (generally supplied by Rescue) and have fresh water available at all times.
• Maintain the animal inside the premises of the Foster Home, not outside, nor in a garage or shed, etc. When foster parents are not around, the foster dog must not be left alone with any child under 18 years of age. For all children under the age of 18, parental monitoring must occur for ay interactions between the children and the foster dog.
• The foster dog is NOT transferrable. Please do not leave the foster dog with anyone else other than you. Do not hand over the dog to anyone else for temporary or permanent care without the express and written permission of Big and Small Rescue. Contact your rescue coordinator if you are having scheduling issues.
• Keep this animal on a leash when the animal is outdoors at all times, unless the animal is in a securely fenced area or securely fenced yard.
• Allow Big and Small Rescue to make all serious decisions regarding this animal's welfare, e.g. obedience training, nutrition, method of discipline and vet care.
If you are willing to accept these responsibilities for fostering a rescue dog, thank you! Please complete the following questionnaire.
This application takes most people 10-20 minutes to complete.
Once we've received your foster application, we'll give it a review and then be in touch for a phone interview.
If you have photos of your home or your current pets that you'd like to send in with your application, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
from the same email address that you're listing on this application.
If you'd prefer to download a PDF version of this form, you find one at https://www.bigandsmallrescue.com/uploads/1/5/4/6/15462604/big___small_foster_application_form_2015_december_v1.pdf
. Completed PDFs can be submitted via email to email@example.com