Reading Review Level B
Read and Answer Each Question
Click Submit After Question 35
Geraldo and Sylvia Tomas are married and have two children. They moved from Peru to the United States three years ago. They lived in Chicago for the first year and then they moved to New York City. Geraldo works in a restaurant. He doesn’t make much money and he has a lot of expenses. He filled out an application to be a truck driver. Sylvia wants to study English by going to an adult education class in her neighborhood.
1. How long did the Tomas family live in Chicago?
2. What is the problem with Geraldo’s job?
The job is too hard
There are too many hours
The pay is too low
There is no vacation time
3. What does the job require?
Experience as a truck driver
To work on Saturdays
4. How can a person apply for this job?
Through the mail
Go to Intercity Moving
Driver's Application for Employment
5. How will Mr. Tomas prove his age?
Tell them in person
Show his green card
Call his previous job
6. What does Equal Employment Opportunity mean?
Intercity wants very young drivers
Intercity will hire everyone
They won’t hire anyone with a green card
They do not discriminate
Apartment Living - Problems
Geraldo and Sylvia Tomas and their two children are living in a small apartment. The rent is a little less than $500 and there are many problems in their building. Their neighbors are always playing their TV very loud. Geraldo spoke to the neighbors, but they still haven’t lowered their TV. When Geraldo and his family need to take showers, there is often no hot water. Geraldo called the manager to complain and the manager keeps saying that the heater will be repaired next month. Geraldo and Sylvia want to move out and rent another apartment.
7. What are the two big problems in their apartment.
The neighbors play their TV loud and the water is often hot
The neighbors play their TV loud and the water is often cold
The rent is low the water is cold
The apartment has a bad manager and the water is often hot
8. Why did Geraldo call the manager?
To tell him that they will move
To talk to the neighbors
To complain about the cold water
To fix their shower
9. What do Geraldo and Sylvia want to do?
Buy a house
Look for another apartment
Make another complaint to the manager
Talk to their noisy neighbors
Apartments for Rent
10. Which apartment has 3 bedrooms?
Apartments 1 and 2
Apartments 2 and 3
Apartments 1 and 3
Apartments 3 and 4
Rental Application – Tomas Family
11. On what line would Geraldo put his employer’s name?
12. What information should go on line 26?
The names of Geraldo’s children
His wife’s name
His wife’s current employer
His current employer
13. What information should go on line 31?
People that know Geraldo like friends
His wife’s name
The names of his children
How much rent he wants to pay
Southeastern Community Pharmacy
14. How many tablets can be taken on the second day?
15. How many days should this medication be taken?
Geraldo has been driving for Intercity for three months. His current schedule is Monday through Saturday from 8:30 to 5:00. His pay is much better than his previous job. He also receives health benefits for himself and his family. In another 9 months at Intercity, he will get one week of paid vacation. He likes driving for a living but his schedule is a problem. He can’t spend time with his family on Saturdays. In the future, he might be able to change his schedule.Sylvia has been studying English at an adult school at night. In Peru she was a teacher. When her children are older she would like to teach high school Spanish. She knows she needs to have excellent language skills to get her certification. For now she is volunteering at a senior center.
16. Why does Geraldo want to change his schedule?
He wants to go back to Peru
He wants to get up later
He wants to spend time with his family on Saturdays
He wants to take classes
17. What will Intercity give Geraldo after one year?
A week of paid vacation
A higher salary
18. Why does Sylvia want to study English?
So she can spend time with her children
She wants to be a teacher
So she can get paid at the senior center
To go back to her own country
Hood River Middle School - 7th Grade Teacher Schedule
19. When does Ms. UNTALAN teach science?
20. Which two teachers teach math?
UNTALAN and RUST
UNTALAN and WEST
WEST and REDMOND
ADKINS and UNTALAN
21. When is lunch scheduled?
Between period 4 and period 5
Between period 5 and period 6
1:48 – 2:50
John Doe's Pay Stub
22. How much did John pay in Federal tax this year?
23. How many different deductions are taken out of John’s check?
24. What is John’s net pay?
25. What is John’s current (gross) pay?
An Incident - A Crime
Sylvia is studying English at a community school and her husband Geraldo is taking a computer class. On a Monday night when they were walking home, a young man ran up behind Sylvia and took her pocketbook. Geraldo yelled at the man and ran after him but the man ran into the subway. Sylvia was very angry because she had $50 in her pocketbook. Moments later Geraldo and Sylvia saw a police officer and told him what happened. The officer asked Sylvia to describe the man. The officer drove to the subway and saw the man throwing the pocketbook on the ground. The officer searched the man and found $50 in his pocket. The officer arrested the man and gave Sylvia back her money. Sylvia was very happy and Geraldo was glad that no one was hurt.
26. What happened to Sylvia and Geraldo?
Geraldo found $50 on the ground
A man stole Geraldo’s wallet
A man stole Sylvia’s pocketbook
The police gave $50 to the man
27. What did the robber do with Sylvia’s pocketbook?
He threw it on the ground
He gave it to a young woman
He threw it in a trashcan
He kept it
28. What happened after the officer found the $50
He put the man in handcuffs
He arrested the man
He found the pocketbook
He asked Geraldo to describe the man
Store Return Policy
29. What is required for all returns?
An extra charge
30. Unopened merchandise can be returned within___________.
31. The store reserves the right to____________.
Refuse small items
Require certain items to be returned directly to the manufacturer
Make a copy of all receipts
Take the customer’s receipt for their records
32. Sylvia is at the bakery. In what direction would she walk to get to the bank?
Walk north on Blue St. to Fourth St.
Go west on First St.
Walk north on Blue St. then turn west on Third St.
Walk north on Blue St. then turn east on Third St.
33. The 7-11 is at what cross streets?
Third and Tom Streets
Third and Fourth Streets
Fourth and Tom Streets
Dental Health History
34. On which line would a person answer if there were any past illnesses?
35. Which line should men NOT answer?
You have completed the Reading Level B Practice Test. Now click Submit
This form was created inside of School District of Palm Beach County.
Terms of Service