See list of current endorsers here and RSVP to the march here: https://www.facebook.com/events/219894618426251/
Justice for Filipino American Veterans (JFAV)Friday, November 11, 2016 Rally and March in Hollywood Meet at Hollywood Blvd and Ivar Ave at 10 AM
Since the Rescission Act of 1946 was passed, our Filipino-American veterans and their families have been unrecognized and had their military benefits exclusively annulled for 70 years. Justice delayed is justice denied. The number of veterans and widows dwindles and the generational gap widens every year.
Marking the 16th Annual JFAV March and 70 years since the passing of the Rescission Act, we have taken the streets from Historic Filipinotown to Downtown Los Angeles to Hollywood, and time is not on our side. Rally against this racist law that denies and discriminates against our veterans, widows, and families. Demand full equity and recognition now!
Justice for Filipino American Veterans (JFAV) is a nationwide alliance of Filipino World War II Veterans organizations, youth, students, and community advocates based in the United States.
JFAV Justice League is the working committee that meets monthly to organize the march and next steps throughout the year. Send inquiry if you are interested to contribute.
For more information:www.jfavusa.orgwww.propeopleyouth.com
1. RECOGNITION ACROSS THE BOARD NOWFilipino veterans’ wartime services should be recognized and deemed as active service. Eliminate the distinction between the Regular or “Old” Philippine Scouts and the remaining three groups of veterans: Commonwealth Army of the Philippines, Recognized Guerrilla Forces, and New Philippine Scouts. HR 2766 or the Filipino Veterans Fairness Act of 2015 must be considered by the congressional veterans committee immediately. This will be the subject of the reconciled bill that the veterans want and reverse the Rescission Act of 1946.
2. SUPPORT THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL ACT AND MOREHR 2737 or the Filipino Veterans of World War II Congressional Gold Medal Act must be passed as a step towards recognition for their service. However, this is not a single unified bill to reverse the Rescission Act of 1946. While a single congressional gold medal will be displayed as a symbolic act, this bill is only partial equity by offering veterans duplicates in bronze that must be purchased out-of-pocket. If it is offered to veterans, these medals must also be made available for survivors.
3. KEEP THE WORKING VISA PROGRAMAlthough the working visa program is set for 5 years, this executive policy must remain the same through the next presidential administration. If there is a different immigration policy, this program is threatened to be removed altogether. This program must continue to ensure the process of reuniting veterans, widows, and their families by allowing certain family members to travel to the US under parole status.
4. SURVIVORS PENSION ELIGIBILITY FOR FAMILIES OF VETERANSWidows and children of Filipino veterans should be eligible for the Survivors Pension benefit otherwise known as the Death Pension like the families of all U.S. veterans.
5. REMOVE THE QUIT CLAIMLump sum under ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) should only be an additional benefit and there will be no quit claim attached to their benefits. All additional benefits should not be taxable and their other benefits should remain.
PARKINGThere are independent lots nearby that range between $5-10. Metered parking is free because Veterans Day is a federal holiday. We encourage carpooling.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATIONFrom Union Station, take the Red Line to Hollywood Blvd. and Vine St. Walk on Hollywood Blvd. towards Vine St. for 0.1 mile to Ivar Ave.
Take the #210 bus to Hollywood Blvd. and Vine St. Walk on Hollywood Blvd. towards Vine St. for 0.1 mile to Ivar Ave.
ACCESSIBILITYRoute is 1.2 miles. ASL Interpreter can be available on request; please notify us by October 21, 2016 if one is needed - we will do our best to accommodate your needs. Other accessibility information is in progress.
AFTER EVENTImmediately following the march, there will be special programming for all attendees. Location, time, and details to be announced.