The TRF Retirement Application
Re: Application for Acceptance into the TRF Program
Please complete this form and return it to us at the address listed on the form. No application will be considered if the entire application is not completed and returned with the checklist items listed in the instructions below.
The TRF is entirely dependent upon donations. Our ability to accept new horses is dependent on our current herd size and the generosity of our donors. The result is that your horse may be placed on a waiting list.
Criteria for retirement to the TRF:
1. Jockey Club registration;
2. Must have a race record;
3. Pasture sound;
4. No stallions (mares and geldings only).
Protocol for retirement to the TRF:
1. Horses at the racetrack and horses in immediate danger are given first priority.
2. The applicant has agreed to the Financial Expectations of this application.
3. Owners are responsible for transporting horses to the nearest available TRF facility.
4. The TRF will maintain a waiting list based on available space, and sustainable funding, across TRF facilities.
Retirement to TRF means a lifetime commitment. If a horse is adopted from TRF and for any reason the adopter can no longer care for the horse, TRF will accept that horse back into the program.
Financial Expectations for retirement to the TRF:
* TRF will request an initial donation of $5,000.
* This will be accompanied by a guaranteed pledge of $2500 per year, starting on the first day of year 3 in our care. This amount will be invoiced (via pledge) at the start of each year. Note: The TRF will not provide monthly billing services.
* TRF will request a lump sum donation for life time care in an amount equal to or greater than $25,000.00
If an owner is unable to meet these financial expectations, he or she must complete the "Request for Rescue" application. A waitlist of candidates for rescue is managed based on available funding.
We look forward to receiving your completed application including the items in the checklist below.
Herd Manager, Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation