The Libraries have two locations with carrels, Wilson Library (West Bank) and Magrath Library (St. Paul Campus). Magrath Library has a limited number of carrels (nine) for faculty and graduate students. Carrels are intended to provide study space for projects/research work, for which library material is needed. Carrels are not intended to serve as offices, conference rooms, storage space or offices for teaching/research assistants.
Carrel Assignment Guidelines:
1) All carrels will be reassigned annually. Current holders may reapply and may request continued assignment of the same carrel. Applicants should complete a form at the beginning of each academic year, specifying the reasons for the need for a carrel, and for current holders, indicating the published research that has been facilitated by the use of the carrel.
2) Carrels in Wilson will be shared among two or three persons, it being understood that users would arrange their schedules so as to use the carrels at different times. The Libraries will assume no responsibility for adjudicating schedules or other conflicts among the co-holders of a single carrel. Magrath carrels are not shared spaces.
3) Random selection will determine which carrels will be shared, with two qualifications: a) persons on leave, carrying on full-time research, will not be required to share their carrels.
4) Applicants may apply as a group to share a common carrel.
2) All library materials kept in a carrel must be checked out to the carrel user. If not, these materials are essentially missing from the collection. Carrel users not following this rule may have their carrel assignment revoked.
3) Please keep your volume level to a minimum. Speaker output is not allowed, and conversations should be kept quiet.
4) The Libraries' food and drink policy (https://www.lib.umn.edu/about/fooddrink) applies within carrels. All beverages must have lids, and no messy or aromatic foods are allowed. Food cannot be prepared/cooked in a carrel.
5) Walls and doors cannot be marred with tape, nails, or other hanging devices. Individuals may be charged for significant damage to the carrel.
6) Smoking is not permitted in carrels, as per the University's smoke- and tobacco-free policy (https://policy.umn.edu/operations/smoketobacco).
7) Carrels are intended for the assigned user only and are not transferable to other users.
8) Lost or unreturned carrel keys will result in a $75 rekeying fee; this fee is not refundable if the lost key is later returned. Lost keys should be immediately reported to the Libraries.
- Wilson Library facilities: email@example.com, 612-624-6515, or 612-640-3001 (pager)- Magrath Library facilities: firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-624-6296, or 612-640-1896 (pager)
Contacts for security issues:
- For emergencies, dial 911- For non-emergency issues, contact the Libraries' security coordinator, Matt Bowers: email@example.com or 612-626-8635; please report thefts to the security coordinator