Solo and Ensemble Sign-up
Dear Parents of Centennial Music Students,
We would like to inform you that the time has come for Centennial music students to optionally sign up for IHSA’s Solo and Ensemble contest. This year’s contest will be held at Heritage High School in Broadlands, IL on Saturday, March 3, 2018. There will be one bus to and from this event. Students wishing to arrive late or leave early should plan on securing their own method of transportation.
Please use this sign up form one time for each entry/event. You do not need to write separate checks for individual entries, just make a note in the memo for the entries that a check covers. The fee for solos is $10.00. The fee for ensembles (2-8 musicians) is $20 per ensemble. Some entries will require piano accompaniment. It is the student’s responsibility to secure a pianist. It is also the student’s responsibility to work out a payment agreement with his or her accompanist. The school does not provide an accompanist. Recommended accompanists: Marilyn Reid -
or Robert Nakea-
All entries must be submitted no later than Wednesday, January 17, 2018. Entries will be considered incomplete and will not be forwarded to the state contest office without payment of entry fees.
We will be allowed to make a limited number of special requests for preferred times to conflicts with other scheduled school events. There is a space at the bottom of this form If you have a need to request AVOIDING a specific window of time. There is not a guarantee that a request will be granted.
We expect to have a draft of the contest schedule by mid-February. We will share it with you as soon as we are able.
Complete Rules for Solo & Ensemble Contest are located at:
Just a few important notes regarding the contest:
1) Each solo or performing group must provide the judge with an original score with measures individually numbered.
2) Solos must not exceed 6 minutes in duration.
3) Required Scales: All wind and percussion soloists will be required to play a chromatic scale and two of the following scales (2 octaves, at a minimum speed of quarter note = 120) - Concert C, F, B-Flat, E-Flat, A-Flat, D-Flat and G Major.
String instrumentalists will play scales from the following list: Concert C, G, D, A, E, F. String instruments will play three octaves except the stringed bass which will play two. No Chromatic Scale is required for strings.
4) Scales must be memorized. Instrumental solos do not need to be memorized, except for piano solos.
5) Piano Soloists play three of the following scales: concert G, D, A, E B or F, two octaves with both hands.
6) Vocal Scales: All vocal soloists will be required to perform five vocal tonal skills. The one major scale, one minor scale and three triads will be performed from memory. The student will select the starting pitch. All vocal repertoire (solos AND ensembles) must be memorized.
What events would you like to participate in?
Instrumental Solo (Band)
If you picked ensemble please specify instrumentation.
I understand that I will be required to find an accompanist if I play a solo at the IHSA festival.(fee required for accompanist)
I understand that I will be required to pay $10 for solo and $20 per ensemble (total not per person) if I participate in IHSA festival.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Champaign Unit 4 School District.