Governance, Security and Asymmetrical Warfare in Central Asia and the Middle East.
The Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies at the Australian National University calls for submissions for its Fourth Biannual Early Career and Postgraduate Conference, November 20-22, 2019.
All abstract submissions must be made through this link and completed before Wednesday 31 July 2019.
The 2019 CAIS 4th Biannual Early Career and Postgraduate Conference is primarily concerned with the area encompassing the Arab World, Central Asian states, Iran, Turkey, and Afghanistan. Other regions including the Caucasus, Pakistan, and Sub-Saharan Africa countries, are also included for their contemporary and historical interaction with the Middle East and Central Asia regions. We welcome submission from various backgrounds and disciplines. The Conference will be designed to accommodate a wide range of topics but will focus on issues pertaining to governance, security and asymmetrical warfare. In addition, the Conference seeks to discuss how Australia can engage with these regions and evaluate Australia’s regional policies and security concerns.
We particularly encourage paper and panel submissions about topics that include, but not limited to:
- Governance, state-building, and political change.
- State’s legitimacy, decentralized governance, corruption, and transparency.
- Regional security policies and military strategies, including issues of asymmetrical warfare.
- Transnational insurgencies and violence.
- Inter-state tensions and competition for power and influence.
- Role of international actors on shaping security and governance outcomes.
- Australia’s security and political strategies towards the Middle East and Central Asia.
- Gender roles in governance and security.
- Economic, social and political reforms.
- Human and economic security.
- Contemporary history of Central Asian and the Middle East.
Panel organisers should submit a Word document providing the panel title, a short summary of the panel theme, and the names, position titles, and institutions of your proposed presenters/panellists, along with their abstracts (if relevant). Please email the Word document directly to
with “2019 Conference – panel proposal” in the subject line.
For queries regarding the Conference, please contact the conference organizing committee at
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service