Director of Data
Why Work With Us?
1. We are the forefront of the food-tech revolution – and have a chance to improve the way millions of people eat.
2. The opportunity to help build a company from the ground up.
3. We’re a small, close team that loves to travel, have fun, work hard, enjoy life, drink, eat, and try new things.
4. Our diverse team of engineers, designers, chefs, marketers and business-people creates an amazing environment of innovation and learning.
5. We value balance in our lives. As a company we believe in sprinting for important periods of time, then taking time to clear our minds away from work.
6. Working for a food-tech company has its perks, including tons of “R&D” food, healthcare benefits and liberal vacation.
As the data lead at Tovala, you’ll own the development and direction of data decision making at Tovala. This means applying your expertise in almost every part of the company. It could mean building models to predict food orders, designing data visualizations for the culinary team, or conducting marketing attribution analysis.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Data Science, Statistics, Engineering, Quantitative Finance or other analytics- related field or equivalent practical experience preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience, preferably in e-commerce or consumer company.
- Experience with the data and modeling of customer acquisition in order to drive growth
- You’re an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams.
- You have industry experience in SQL, as well as one or more statistical tools (R, SAS, SPSS, Python).
- You have strong organizational skills and flexibility. The ability to adapt to change quickly and to tackle unfamiliar tasks and requests with positive attitude and resourcefulness.
- You want to work in an environment that takes a people-first approach; values humility, integrity and ambition; and is focused on creating a culture that keeps people happy and challenged.
- You have previous managerial and leadership experience, as well as networking connections within the data science community to help with outreach, passion for mentorship.
- Food has played (or continues to play) an important role in your life.
About the Role
- This position will help Tovala evaluate operational performance, research industry trends, proactively identify and solve opportunities for value-added analysis, develop points of view to drive results, and frame recommendations for leadership.
- You’ll lead analytic efforts to assess marketing initiatives and develop better understanding of customer acquisition effectiveness.
- You’ll maintain consistent reporting cadences across a group of stakeholders and use our data to succinctly communicate performance, areas for improvement, and shared success.
- You’ll set the direction and iterate on the data needs across a variety of business functions -- and stand up and maintain POC infrastructure (e.g. spark cluster, cassandra cluster, kafka, etc.)
- You’ll design operational data science models that are used to improve or predict business outcomes and enhance the customer experience.
- You’ll lead the data science team by nurturing, recruiting, and training future employees as the needs of Tovala grow and change.
- You'll build models to predict food orders and be responsible for entire pipeline from ingesting raw data, munging it, extracting features, choosing and optimizing models, deploying them to a production environment, versioning and maintaining them, monitoring key results and iterating by introducing new data sources, refining models, etc.
- You'll conduct marketing attribution analysis using markov models, game theory, survival analysis, etc.
First and last
Do you live in Chicago?
How did you hear about this job?
Link to your resume
Why are you interested in this role?
Why do you think you would be good at this role?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Tovala.