By applying below to serve as an alumni mentor while in college, you will be working one-on-one with a current New York City high school student to help them with the college application process and to prepare them for life as a college student.
Before applying below, some things to keep in mind:
• Alumni mentors will be paired with a same gender mentee currently enrolled in high school
• Alumni mentors should strive to meet with their mentee bi-weekly
• Meetings should occur at either the alumni mentor's college, the mentee's high school, or a site recommended by p.s. alumni
• All mentor/mentee pairs will have the opportunity to convene at program workshops, college tours, and special events
• Alumni mentors will be given the resources and training necessary to be an impactful alumni mentor through a comprehensive training, regular check-ins and additional guidance available if needed
• All alumni mentor applicants will need to be background checked before they can begin mentoring
• Alumni mentors should be currently enrolled in college
If you have any questions or if you would like to inquire about official documentation of your hours mentoring, please reach out to Kara Gurl at KGurl@schools.nyc.gov.