Coming Together in Skokie & Niles Township is a community partnership program including Skokie, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove and Niles. The purpose of the project is to promote literacy, cross-cultural awareness and community-building in our diverse villages.
Every year we highlight a specific culture from the local community with a series of literary, cultural and educational events coordinated over the course of six weeks. A central component of the program is to promote literacy via an adult fiction work that provides historical and/or cultural insight. The adult text is supplemented by books appropriate for teenagers, children and families.
To date, Coming Together has featured India, the Philippines, Assyrians, Greece, Korea, Voices of Race, the Latino & Hispanic cultures and Chinese Culture..
Definition of Roles and Expectations
If selected for next year’s project, the chosen culture’s representatives must fulfill the minimum requirements below:
• Project coordinator(s) must attend monthly meetings of the Coming Together coordinating committee, made up of representatives from the participating agencies
• Act as a liaison between the coordinating committee and your community
• Work with your community to develop a cultural kick-off event
• Identify members of your community who will attend every book discussion
• Assist the coordinating committee in identifying speakers and presenters for programs
• Promote events and programs to your community
The Coming Together Coordinating Committee will be responsible for the following:
• Making selected texts available through the library and schools
• Developing promotional materials including a booklet, short video, website, social media presence and press release
• Coordinating site logistics for events
• Making arrangements for an author visit for the selected text(s)
• Providing support to the project leader(s)
Please note that Coming Together participants and presenters volunteer their time. The planning committee is able to reimburse minor expenses for food, supplies, etc.
Events will begin approximately the last weekend in January and continue for approximately six weeks following. The program includes visits by selected authors.
Key deadlines will include:
Late May - Finalize book selections
October 1 - Finalize all dates and locations for events
November 15 - Finalize content for booklet
Mid-January - Press Release and Conference
Please answer all of the following questions to be considered for selection as next year’s Coming Together culture. Incomplete applications will not be considered.