Petition: Governments Must Suspend Rent, Mortgage Payments, and Evictions
With large private employers now shutting down, the BC Ecosocialist Party is calling on all levels of government to immediately suspend rent and mortgage payments and evictions in Canada.
By signing this petition, we call on all levels of government to put the following measures in place:
1. Immediate moratorium on evictions.
2. Immediate moratorium on utility and telecommunications shut-offs due to non-payment.
3. Immediate suspension of rent. Any rent that would have been due during the pandemic period must be forgiven.
4. Immediate suspension of mortgage and property tax payments. Mortgage interest must be frozen during the pandemic period.
5. Emergency subsistence payments sufficient to cover essentials (food, medications, telecommunications) must be made to all people in Canada.