Thank you for your interest in your child's participation in our free Watershed Explorers Program focused on the Escondido Youth! This is an outdoor education program that provides the opportunity to travel and experience the length of the San Dieguito Watershed in a week long Summer camp experience from June 26-30. The explorers' journey includes visits to the San Diego Archaeological Center, Sikes Adobe Historic Farmstead, Lake Hodges, the San Dieguito River on Volcan Mountain, and the award-winning Birdwing Open Air Classroom at the San Dieguito Lagoon.
Each location in the Watershed Explorers Program focuses on a different theme providing a unique opportunity for participants to experience and learn about the many facets of the watershed from the natural world to its history and cultural significance. As they experience the outdoors, explorers develop a "sense of place" and appreciation for the environment - recognizing they play a role in preserving and protecting the natural and cultural resources of the watershed.
- Space is limited to the first 26 registered participants! Please sign up as soon as possible to reserve your place! We ask that Explorers please commit to all 5 days, otherwise please let us know if you can't make it so we can give another child an opportunity to attend.
- Drop off at 8:45am and pick up at 3:30pm everyday at the Escondido Public Library (239 S Kalmia St in Escondido). There are no overnight stays.
- Transportation, lunch, and supplies are provided for the first 26 registered participants.
- We recommend this program for ages 12-18. Parents/guardians are unable to attend due to the limited space. Exceptions can be be made children under 12 on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us before registering a participant under 12.
- You will receive a Summer Camp welcome email within 3 business days of registering and a courtesy reminder email at least 1 week before the Orientation and Summer Camp start.
- A detailed itinerary will be available in late April/early May.
Watershed Explorers Summer Camp 2023 Dates
Drop off at the Escondido Library everyday at 8:45 am. Pick up from the Escondido Library everyday at 3:30pm
- Orientation at the Escondido Library May 27 or June 24 from 10am-12pm
- Volcan Mountain June 26
- Sikes Adobe Historic Farmstead June 27
- San Diego Archaeological Center June 28
- Lake Hodges June 29
- San Dieguito Lagoon June 30
If you have any questions, concerns, or are unable to make one of the events, please contact us:
- Sr. Interpretive Ranger Leana Bulay Leana@sdrp.org
San Dieguito River Park
18372 Sycamore Creek Road
Escondido, CA 92025
A Special Thanks
Thank you for registering for the Watershed Explorers Summer Camp! We will see you soon at our upcoming events!
Thank you to the partners of the Watershed Explorers Program - Summer Camp 2023!
San Dieguito River Park | San Dieguito River Valley Conservancy | San Diego Archaeological Center | Escondido Public Library | Volcan Mountain Foundation |