Women Composers Festival of Hartford 2020 Student Workshop Application Form
The Women Composers Festival of Hartford and The Hartt School are proud to sponsor a student workshop with the Craft Ensemble (
). Selected participants will compose a new, short piece for string quartet that will be read and workshopped on in the late afternoon/evening on Friday, March 20, 2020 at The Hartt School in West Hartford, CT. The reading session will be recorded for participants’ personal (i.e. non-commercial) use.
Participants will attend in-person sessions with workshop director Dr. Jessica Rudman on Sunday Nov. 17, 2019 and Feb. 9, 2020. Additionally, Dr. Rudman will mentor the students via email and online discussion as they work on their pieces. Drafts of scores and parts will be due at the Feb. 9 session, and finished compositions will be due March 1.
Participants will receive a free Festival pass, which will grant them admission to all Women Composers Festival events. The WCF is not able to provide travel assistance to participants.
* “Student” is defined as anyone who has not yet completed a terminal degree in music composition.
* Open to composers of any age who identify as as women/femmes/non-binary.
* Priority may be given to applicants from CT.
* Previous participants are welcome to apply, but priority may be given to those who have not yet been selected for the workshop.
* Applicants must be able to attend the in-person sessions on Nov. 17, 2019 and Feb. 9, 2019, as well as the workshop on March 20, 2020.
* Submit the online application form including short essay explaining why the student is interested in participating and contact information for one teacher (current or past) who will serve as a reference for the student
* 1-2 sample scores and, if available, recordings of previous pieces if available (MIDI recordings are acceptable)
* All applications must be received by Oct. 1
Timeline and Results:
* 11:59 pm on Oct. 1: submissions received via our online application form
* Oct. 8: selected students will be notified and asked to confirm their participation
* Sunday, Nov. 17 at 2-5 pm: in-person session 1 at The Hartt School
* Sunday, Feb. 9 at 2-5 pm: in-person session 2 at The Hartt School, drafts of scores/parts due
* Sunday, March 1: completed pieces due via email
* Friday, March 20, Time TBD: Student Workshop at The Hartt School
Student Email Address
Parent/Guardian Email Address(es)
What type of student are you:
Master's or Graduate Certificate
Private student, not currently matriculated
Out of school but not studying privately
Current School (if not currently enrolled in a school, write N/A)
For pre-college students, what grade are you in?
Please tell us about your previous musical experience (no more than 250 words).
In no more than 250 words, please explain why you are interested in participating in the student workshop.
Please share 1-2 sample scores with recordings by uploading your materials to Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar and list the link here. Make sure your sharing settings will allow us to view the materials and that the link will remain active through Oct. 15.
How did you hear about this opportunity?
I understand that if my submission is selected, I am required to attend the session on Nov. 17 and Feb. 9, participate in online mentoring, submit my completed piece by Mar. 1, and and attend the workshop on March 20.
Yes, I understand and agree
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service