The NASA GSFC Office of Education at the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in NYC invites you to attend the Beginning Engineering, Science, & Technology (BEST) Program! BEST is a multi-session STEM educator professional development cohort to help you improve STEM education experiences for your students and community. You will participate in hands-on NASA-themed engineering design challenges, receive presentations from NASA subject matter experts, and develop your own BEST STEM lesson to fit your classroom needs. The program is available for formal and informal educators currently teaching students in grades K-8, and can be easily modified to fit customized classroom needs. In addition to receiving training in BEST, educators will receive supplementary NASA educational resources and the opportunity to join an ongoing STEM community of practice. Don't delay--give your classroom a BEST makeover TODAY!
The dates of the sessions are given below*†:
• Session 1: Webinar – Monday, November 14th (4-5pm) o BEST Program Orientation Kickoff
• Session 2: GISS/Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum – Friday, December 2nd (1-4pm) & Saturday, December 3rd (10am-3pm) o Day 1 (GISS): Build a Low Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) o Day 2 (Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum): Build & Launch a Satellite to Orbit the Moon
• Session 3: GISS – Friday, January 20th (1-4pm) & Saturday, January 21st (10am-3pm) o Day 1: Prepare for a Mission o Day 2: Design a Lunar Buggy & Landing Pod
• Session 4: Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum – Saturday, February 11th (10am-3pm) o Design Exploration Challenge
• Session 5: Webinar – Monday, March 13th (4-5pm) o Earth Right Now: Engineering Design
• Session 6: Webinar – Monday, March 27th (4-5pm): o Earth Right Now: Satellites, GPM (Global Precipitation Mission) o Earth Right Now: SMAP (Soil Moisture Active Passive)
• Session 7: GISS – Friday, April 28th (1-4pm) & Saturday, April 29th (10am-3pm) o Day 1: Lessons Learned & Curriculum Development o Day 2: Design Challenge, Presentations to NASA & Certificate Ceremony
• Session 8: Webinar – May (Date TBD); Post Feedback & Future Recommendations
*All GISS sessions will be held at 2880 Broadway, New York, NY 10025. All Intrepid sessions will be held at Pier 86, W 46th St & 12th Ave. All webinars will be hosted online. Video-capable computer and internet access required.
†Participants must attend all sessions to receive certificate of completion.
Visit NASA’s BEST website at http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/best/#.V9xn-k0rJD8 for more information about BEST and to review educational content for your classroom. Please contact Matthew Pearce (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any additional questions about BEST.