ESOL Grammar Diagnostics Test (Version A- MC ONLY)
This is proprietary material created by Daniel J. Stone, owner of Two Birds One Stone Learning.
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or re-transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or other, or stored in information storage or retrieval system without permission in writing from the publisher.
This inclusion of third-party material does not constitute an endorsement, guarantee, warranty, or recommendation by Two Birds One Stone Learning. TBOSL or Daniel J. Stone makes no representation, claims, or warranties about any product or service contained therein.
I don't live in OH.
(Powered by Two Birds One Stone Learning)
1. A: __________ do you live? B: In Ohio. How about you?
2. My friend __________ on the computer for hours every day.
c. is working
d. will work
3. Quick! Look out the window! __________.
a. There’s snowing.
b. It’s snowing.
c. It does snow.
d. It snows.
4. Jennifer, please be quiet! Your mother __________ on the telephone!
a. is talking
5. A: Did you hear all the children laughing? B: Yes, of course, I heard __________!
6. A: Where’s Daniel? B: I’m not sure. __________ here an hour ago.
b. He was
d. There was
7. A: I’m so sleepy. I need coffee! B: I’m sorry; we don’t have __________.
d. a few
8. A: I’m just having a sandwich from Subway. How about you? B: I’m not sure. I _________ have a Big Mac, or I ________ try the Whopper.
b. have to/have to
9. During their car trip yesterday, one police officer __________ and the other man __________ notes about the road conditions.
a. was driving/was taking
d. has driven/has taken
10. A: Amazing! Did you see what he did? B: Yes, he __________ the ball while running at full speed.
c. is catching
d. will catch
11. A: What a beautiful sweater! Is it from China? B: Actually, ___________ in the United States.
a. it was made
b. she was made
c. it is making
d. it was being made
12. After speeding in her car yesterday, Monica ________ a ticket by the police.
a. has been given
d. was given
13. James __________ stop sleeping in class if he wants to pass the course!
a. could be
b. had better
14. A. Tell me about your accident. B. Well, I __________across the street when suddenly a truck came around the corner and hit me.
a. had walked
c. was walking
d. am walking
15. As soon as Mr. Stone __________ about the new proposal, I’ll share the information with everyone.
a. knows to let me
b. let me know
c. lets me know
d. permits me knowing
A: The singer sang so beautifully. B: What a change! He ________ so bad.
a. use to be
b. used to be
c. are use to be
d. are used to be
17. The oak tree grew rapidly so that by 2008, it was __________ the house.
a. so tall as
b. so tall like
c. as tall as
d. as tall like
18. Seattle’s weather is ________________ than Miami’s weather.
19. A: The movie sounds terrific. I’d love to see it with you, but you’re so busy! B: If you help me with this one assignment, __________ with you.
a. I go
b. I'll go
c. I'm going
d. I was going
20. A: My presentation was a real disaster. Half of the people left the room! B: You __________ a lot more.
a. had prepared
b. would have prepared
c. should have prepared
d. must have prepared
21. A: Frankly, I didn’t think that meal was very good. B: I agree. And I got tired __________ for the food to arrive, too.
a. of waiting
b. to wait
c. for wait
d. about waiting
22. Sure, we could get to the 8 o’clock movie at 8:30. But by the time we arrive, the film ____________.
a. has already started
b. would already start
c. will have already started
d. will already start
23. All the oil companies in the Middle Eastern country are publicly owned. Eventually, the government wants to ____________ them.
24. China is the most ______________ country in the world. It even has more people than India.
25. A: I was so bored at that conference! B: If you had taken my advice, you __________ at all!
a. didn’t go
b. hadn’t gone
c. weren’t going
d. wouldn’t have gone
26. A: Everything was fine. I had everything under control. You __________ do anything. B: I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interfere.
a. must not
b. don’t have to
c. hadn’t to
d. didn’t have to
27. Let’s wait for David. He asked me __________a ride home at 5:30.
a. that I will give him
b. would you give me
c. if I would give him
d. will you give me
28. Edward claims that there will be trouble _____ he doesn't complete the job.
a. in the case that
d. as long as
29. He decided to trust Daniel ______ he was an honest man.
30. A: Did you have a chance to look over the contract? B: Yes. I think it has some very_________ points in it that we will need to discuss.
31. The construction company promised to finish all the work by the end of the month, but they didn’t complete some important items. The windows __________ by now, but they’re not.
a. should have repaired
b. must have repaired
c. would have been repaired
d. should have been repaired
32. ________ it's raining, she's going for a walk in the park.
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service