It's difficult to explain a roller derby bout (game) if you've never witnessed it live. We highly encourage you to check out live bouts in the area or online via http://wftda.tv for some excellent footage of past tournament bouts. There's nothing like watching the best-of-the-best in action to get you excited about playing roller derby! You can always talk to a veteran skater or referee about any questions you may have regarding the rules of roller derby. Don't be shy!
Bootcamp: To begin bootcamp, you are required to pay $200 up front (or make two installment payments of $110). This covers your dues for 18 weeks worth of boot camp. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. We use this money to secure your training space for the four month duration of boot camp.
Once you have have completed boot camp:Monthly dues are $40 and are due on the 1st of every month. If dues are not paid by the 3rd of the month, you will incur a $2 late fee, and you will not be permitted to skate at practice, compete in bouts, or attend league functions until your balance is paid or arrangements are made with the Financial Director.
If you are unable to pay on time, please contact the Financial Director (email@example.com) prior to becoming delinquent to make arrangements. You may pay any dues collector directly by cash or online via Venmo (http://www.venmo.com/annarborrollerderby).
A typical practice begins with a warm-up: skating some laps at your own pace, a dynamic stretching routine; basic skills and agility. Each practice usually will have an endurance component, which could mean skating laps for five minutes straight, drills that switch from a two-minute sprint to a 30-second skill set and back for five to 10 minutes at a time, or any specific form of torture at the trainer's discretion. The rest of practice time consists of drills that focus on agility, basic skills (crossovers, stops, falls, form, hitting, etc.), or game-play. Time at the end of practice is generally dedicated to scrimmaging, with the last 10 minutes or so reserved for static stretching as a group.
Of course, this all depends on your skating level, and practices will change as your skills increase. New skaters are not allowed to be involved in any contact drills until they have satisfied a skills requirement. We will work with you regardless of your skill level, and offer drills focusing on what all skaters need to work on. A2D2 members are passionate about roller derby and want as many individuals as possible to learn and love the sport! This is not the roller derby of the past, which was much more like pro-wrestling on skates. Illegal moves such as elbowing, tripping, punching, and pushing are NOT ALLOWED. It is, however, a very aggressive, full-contact, competitive sport, and it is common (and often perfectly legal) to take a hit that knocks you off your skates.
There will be opportunity, during boot camp, to begin attending veteran and team practices. Your boot camp instructor will let you know when you may start attending. Veteran and team practice schedule is as follow:
Monday - Arbor Bruising Co. (B Team) - 7:30-9:30pmTuesday - Ypsilanti Vigilantes (C Team) - 7:30-9:30pmWednesday - All League Scrimmage - 7pm - 9:30pm*Thursday - Brawlstars (A Team) - 7pm - 9pm with a Brawlstars only scrimmage from 9pm - 10pm. Non-Brawlstars are encouraged to stay and NSO or ref.
*In order to scrimmage on Wednesdays, skaters must be skills test passed and obtain scrimmage eligibility attendance.
Winter/Spring Veterans practices are held at:The Mint444 James L. Hart ParkwayYpsilanti, MI 48197
Summer/Fall Veterans practices are held at:Buhr Park2751 Packard RoadAnn Arbor, MI 48104
To view the A2D2 Google Calendar, go to http://tiny.cc/a2d2calendar.
Any time you have questions or concerns, you should direct them to the appropriate Board Member(s).
VICE CHAIRPERSONSnarky Malarky (Carri Underwood)firstname.lastname@example.org
SECRETARYMarty McFlyBy (Martyn Fox)email@example.com
FINANCIAL DIRECTORLittle Awful Annie (Renee Holden) and Bigtails (Sam Brdek)firstname.lastname@example.org
PUBLIC RELATIONSHellinor Bruisevelt (Elinor Epperson)email@example.com
BOUT PRODUCTIONRadioactive Isatope (Isa Daher)firstname.lastname@example.org
SPONSORSHIP AND FUNDRAISINGRuthless Bruiser Ginsburg (Ashley Curry)email@example.com
TRAININGMari Hemmer (The Hammer) and Freeda Radical (Emily Bowers)firstname.lastname@example.org
INTERLEAGUE LIAISONArya Snark (Mary Lee)email@example.com
Twitter: @a2derbydimes - Regular status updates @a2derbylive - Live bout updates
Flickr: flickr.com/a2derbydimes - All of our event and bout flyers can be found here
ROLLERS SKATE PARK, BELLEVILLE | ROLLERSSKATEPARK.COMFriday 7:00-11:00pmSaturday 2:00-5:00pm and 7:00-11:00pmSunday 2:00-5:00pm
SKATELAND WEST, WESTLAND | SKATELANDWEST.COMFriday 7:00-11:00pmSaturday 11:00am-1:00pm and 1:30-5:00pmSunday 4:00-7:00pm
SKATIN STATION II, CANTON | SKATINSTATION2.COMFriday 8:00pm-12:00amSaturday 1:00-10:00pmSunday 2:00-5:00pm and 8:00-11:00pm
RIVERSIDE ARENA, LIVONIA | RIVERSIDEARENA.COMWednesday 6:00-8:00pmThursday 8:00-10:30pmFriday 8:00pm-12:00amSaturday 2:00-5:00pmSunday 2:00-5:00pm and 8:00-10:30pm
*These times are subject to change. Rinks tend to offer more open skate sessions during public school breaks. Please check the rinks' websites for the most up-to-date schedule.
SURE GRIP ROCK GT-50 $125.00http://www.suregrip.com/products-page/skate-packages/rock-skate-packages/gt-50For someone starting out, but on a tight budget, this is your best bet. The GT-50 will get you through boot camp, but you'll likely want to upgrade later in your derby career; this is not the most durable skate.
RIEDELL R3 $149.00http://www.rollergirlskates.com/riedell-r3-derby.aspxThe R3 is the most popular starter skate. It's great to learn on and the most affordable in the Riedell line. Like the GT-50, you'll likely want to upgrade later as this vinyl boot is glued, not stitched, to the sole, and may separate over time. Another drawback of this model is the square shaped toe-stop. You may want to upgrade to a round toe-stop to prevent them from turning and becoming loose or unscrewed.
RIEDELL VIXEN $239.00http://www.rollergirlskates.com/riedell-vixen.aspxA step up in the Riedell line is the Vixen. The leather boot is stitched into the sole, making it more durable than the R3 or GT-50. The plate that comes with the Vixen is aluminum, and while it's more durable and responsive than the nylon plates on the GT-50 and R3 skates, it is also considerably heavier.
These are the least expensive, up-to-snuff beginner skates that we recommend. There are usually veteran skaters with old skates and equipment to sell and we have created a handy spreadsheet that you can look at to see if any A2D2 skater has gear to sell that you would be interested in. You can find that spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U6vQSUzTYpoK47JrMirJjq__QKiuc8mif7dkCGK9giE/edit#gid=0
You'll hear a lot about the hardness or durometer of a wheel. The durometer rating can range from 75A to 105A. The higher the number, the harder the wheel, and a harder wheel is a faster, slicker wheel. Softer wheels provide more grip. For starters, a wheel in the middle of the spectrum is good - anything from 88A to 94A. Choosing a wheel in the middle will allow you to grip the surface of the rink a little better, offering you more stability while first learning techniques. The best bet is to talk to veteran skaters that are roughly your body size or have similar foot movement. Find out what they use and ask to borrow a set of wheels before buying.
Here are a couple of recommendations:Triple 8 Knee Pads $30-$40187 Pro Killer Knee Pads $60
All of this equipment can also be found online at at multiple sites. Just Google what you are looking for!
YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO BEGIN BOOT CAMP UNTIL ALL OF THE ITEMS ARE SUBMITTED!
Policies and Procedure Acknowledgement Signature Page
Non-Compete / Non-Disclosure / Conflict of Interest Agreement
Code of Conduct Agreement
Assumption of Risk / Release From Liability Agreement
May be paid in cash or via Venmo (http://www.venmo.com/annarborrollerderby)
WFTDA insurance is prorated after July 1st to $40 for league members. Once you complete this application, the Executive Secretary will add you to the Ann Arbor Derby Dimes on WFTDA.com. You will then be sent a link to purchase insurance. Your insurance coverage will be confirmed immediately upon completing the online enrollment process, and you will have a confirmation page you can print, which contains your WFTDA insurance ID. You will also be able to log in at any time (wftda.com/login) to verify your insurance ID.
Insurance is valid until December 31st. Prior to this date, you will need to renew your insurance for 2018, which will cost $75 for the year.
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE FILLING OUT THE INFORMATION BELOW.
I have no contract, agreement, claim or obligation, which may be in conflict with any obligation I have taken under this Agreement.
Except as my assigned participation may require or, as A2D2 may otherwise consent in writing, I will not disclose at any time either during or subsequent to my participation, any information, knowledge or data of A2D2 organization which I may develop or receive during the course of my participation relating to financial data, writings, policies, designs, video, team playbook, business process, training, team meetings, trade secrets, know-how, plans and programs, or any other knowledge of A2D2's which is of a proprietary or confidential nature (the "Information"), and upon release of my participation with A2D2 for any reason, I agree to immediately deliver to A2D2 all physical property, plans, designs, uniforms, equipment, manuals, letters, videos, notes, reports and any other materials relating to A2D2 in my possession or under my control.
In the course of my participation I will learn and hopefully will conceive A2D2 Information during A2D2 time and at A2D2 expense, which Information relates to A2D2's interests and is likely to be of benefit both to A2D2's competitors and to A2D2 even after release of my participation. I recognize a just purpose in A2D2 protecting its investment in the Information and related training and experience. I also recognize a just purpose in A2D2's affecting such protection through continued use of my knowledge and judgment and through avoiding, for limited times, competition by, through and from former teammates trained and/or given special knowledge, contracts and/or experience by A2D2 in A2D2s line of business and with access to A2D2's Information, equipment and financial resources. Accordingly, and with full knowledge, A2D2 will rely on this Agreement in accepting me, continuing to consider me and giving me access to its Information, I agree that:
During my participation and for one year after the release of my participation for any reason, I will not either directly or indirectly divert or aid other in diverting any trade or business which A2D2 was enjoying at the time of such release or which I have solicited on A2D2s behalf during my participation with A2D2; without the written permission of the President of the Ann Arbor Derby Dimes;
During my participation and for one year after the release of my participation I will not own, manage, control or operate, or act as a team member, representative, consultant or independent contractor for any business which is engaged in the same or similar line of business as that carried on by A2D2, without the written permission of the President of A2D2;
During my participation and for one year after the release of my participation I will not either directly or indirectly entice, aid, or cooperate with other in soliciting or enticing away any team member, customer, client or supplier of A2D2, without the written permission of the President of A2D2;
Without limiting the specific obligations above to honor A2D2's confidentially and trade secret information for so long as it remains protected, I specifically agree during my participation and one year thereafter, I will accept no participation where the performance of the duties and responsibilities of the new participation will call on me to use, to disclose or to base judgment on the confidential or trade secret Information of A2D2 or to utilize the goodwill of A2D2 in assisting any competitor of A2D2, without the written permission of the Preside of A2D2.
In the event that any word, phrase, clause, sentence or other provision of the Agreement shall be deemed to violate any applicable statute, ordinance or rule of law in any jurisdiction in which it is used, such provision shall be ineffective to the extent of such violation without invalidating any other provision of the Agreement. It is further agreed that if at any time it shall be determined that this Agreement is unreasonable as to time, scope or area by any court of competent jurisdiction, A2D2 shall be entitled to enforce this Agreement for such a period of time and within such area and scope as may be determined to be reasonable by such court.
I further agree that in the event of any breach of the Agreement by me that injuries to A2D2 are irreparable and that A2D2 shall be entitled to injunctive relief in addition to such other and further relief as may be proper. In the event of my breach of this Agreement or any part thereof, I agree to pay all cost of enforcement of such Agreement, including but not limited to, reasonable attorneys' fees.
I understand and agree that nothing contained in this Agreement, either expressly or implied, is intended to impose any obligation on A2D2 to employ me for any period of time and that my participation by A2D2 is terminable at any time with or without cause by me or by A2D2.
I understand that this Agreement supersedes any and all prior Non-Compete/Non-Disclosure/Conflict agreements and understandings between A2D2 and myself. No representations have been made by A2D2 concerning the terms and conditions of participation other than those representations contained in the Agreement. This Agreement may be modified only by a written document signed by both the President of A2D2 and me.
I agree that this Agreement shall be governed and interpreted under the laws of the State of Michigan.
This is a confidential document and may be reproduced only with the written permission of Ann Arbor Derby Dimes.
The participants, coaches, officials and volunteers shall be required to follow the Code of Conduct, set forth as follows:
I hereby pledge to be responsible for my words and actions while attending, coaching or participating in an Ann Arbor Derby Dimes roller derby bout, practice or league event and shall conform my behavior to the following code of conduct:
1. I will not engage in unsportsmanlike conduct, such as booing and taunting, or using profane language or gestures, with any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
2. I will not encourage any other person to engage in unsportsmanlike conduct with any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
3. I will not engage in any behavior which could endanger the health, safety or well-being of any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
4. I will not encourage any other person to engage in any behavior which could endanger the health, safety or well-being of any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
5. I will not use drugs or alcohol while participating in a bout or practice.
6. I will not encourage any other person, to use drugs or alcohol while participating in a bout or practice.
7. I will treat any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee with respect regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or ability.
8. I will not engage in verbal or physical threats or abuse aimed at any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
9. I will not encourage any other person to engage in verbal or physical threats or abuse aimed at any coach, parent, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
10. I will not initiate a fight or scuffle with any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
11. I will not encourage any other person to initiate a fight or scuffle with any coach, parent, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
12. I will not slander, libel or misrepresent any coach, player, participant, official of any other attendee.
13. I will not encourage any other person to slander, libel or misrepresent any coach, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
14. I will abide by any decision rendered by the Ann Arbor Derby Dimes Board of Directors.
1. Participant forever waives any cause of action against A2D2 and it affiliates, owners, and agents, which might arise from participation in this activity.
2. In the event a third party (or parties) is injured in any occurrence in which the undersigned participates, the undersigned shall forever indemnify, defend and hold harmless A2D2, it affiliates, its owners, agents, and employees, for ALL costs and expenses which arise from claims by such injured parties.
3. Participant authorizes any medical treatment deemed necessary in the event of any injury while participating in A2D2 activities. It is the responsibility of participant to carry full and complete insurance coverage for personal bodily injury and personal property damage to participant and any other individuals who may be injured resulting from league activities (or, in its absence, agree to pay all costs of rescue and/or medical services that may be incurred on behalf of the participant).
4. Participant understands and accepts that roller skating, in it various forms, is a hazardous sport and has many dangers and risks, which include serious bodily injury or death. Participant hereby agrees to freely and expressly assume and accept any and all risks of injury.
5. Participant represents that he/she is physically fit and to safely participate in this physically demanding activity, and that he/she does not suffer from any injury, defect, ailment, illness or the like which could conceivably lead to injury or death from participation in this activity.
6. The participants Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability Agreement is on behalf of the league participant, and his or her spouse, personal representatives, assigns, heirs, next of kin, family, relatives, executors, trustees, conservators, administrators, agents and guardians.
7. Participant agrees to give up their right to a trial by court or a jury. Any dispute or claim between participant and A2D2, including those arising out of or related to this Agreement, the interpretation of this Agreement, or any damages, shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the Rules of the American Arbitration Association. The arbitrator's award shall be final and binding upon the parties, and judgment upon the award may be entered by any court of competent jurisdiction. The place of arbitration shall be the country or jurisdiction where the league is located.
8. Participant agrees to provide their own required protective gear that must be worn at all times during league activities.
9. I understand, consent to and authorize, in advance, the use of my name, voice, picture or other likeness, in combination or alone, in any broadcast, telecast, print medium, advertising, promotion or other account of a league event as approved by A2D2.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY
Participant, member, guest or patron shall participate in roller skating and/or use any of A2D2 activities at his/her own risk. A2D2 shall not be liable for any damages for personal injuries sustained by any participant, member, guest of patron in, on or about any premises used for A2D2 league activities from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action, including, without limitations, any claim for personal injuries arising out of the use of its facilities, services, or equipment, or arising out of the negligence of A2D2, its owners, affiliates, or agents or any other person at A2D2.
PERSONAL PROPERTY AND VALUABLES
A2D2 shall not be liable for the loss or theft of, or damage to, the personal property of any participant, member, guest or patron.