The Jahajee Sisters Leadership & Empowerment Institute Application
We are delighted to invite you to apply to the Jahajee Sisters Leadership & Empowerment Institute! We welcome women, including trans women, and gender-nonconforming people ages 14 and up to apply.
This is a 7-month program that will train you to become a bold and courageous leader who is ready to challenge gender injustice in our community and beyond. Through the Institute, you will:
(1) Engage in a transformative process that will allow you to start your healing journey and step into your full personal power. We will provide two coaching sessions to support you with this process.
(2) Receive political education in gender justice, racial justice, immigrant rights and more.
(3) Learn new skills in community organizing, direct action, storytelling, public speaking, and group facilitation.
-- Opening Retreat: Saturday, October 26 and Sunday, October 27, 2019. This will be at the Stony Point Center (17 Cricketown Rd, Stony Point, NY 10980). Transportation will be arranged.
-- Five full-day sessions: November 16, December 14, January 11, February 8 and March 14. These will be at the Blue Star Center of New York (125-02 111th Avenue, Richmond Hill, NY 11420). Ride shares can be arranged for Bronx residents.
-- Closing Retreat in April 2020. Location and date coming soon.
Attendance is required at all sessions. There is a $150 tuition for the entire Leadership & Empowerment Institute. If you are unable to pay this fee, scholarships are available.
The deadline to apply is September 22, 2019. If you have questions, need assistance with the application, or are inquiring about the scholarship, please do not hesitate to contact us at
Contact & Demographic Information
We are asking that you fill out demographic information in this application to ensure that we have a diverse cohort of community members for the Leadership & Empowerment Institute.
Best time to reach you
Country of Birth
Year of Birth
Do you belong to or attend a house of worship in the Bronx or Queens (church, mandir, masjid, ect.)? Please share all affiliations.
Are you involved with any cultural, service, or social justice organizations? If so, which ones? Please share all community affiliations.
Please answer the questions to the best of your ability and if you need any support, email us at
1. Why do you want to be a part of this Leadership & Empowerment Institute?
2. What leadership, community organizing or activism experience do you have? Please describe.
3. What are some of the challenges and issues you feel are affecting the Indo-Caribbean community in New York City, particularly Indo-Caribbean women and girls?
4. Please describe what you think you can do to create change in the Indo-Caribbean community.
5. Have you ever been a part of any leadership training before? Please share all relevant experience(s).
6. Reflect on your existing strengths and areas for growth as a leader. What are your strengths? What are your areas for growth?
7. Describe one personal goal and one leadership goal that you would like to begin working toward through the Leadership & Empowerment Institute.
8. What conversations are ripe for you at this time? What would you like to explore with other like-minded and like-hearted Indo-Caribbean women through this institute?
9. At the end of this 7-month Leadership & Empowerment Institute, what do you envision will shift in your leadership and life? Please describe.
10. Please share a brief bio (no more than 500 words).
There is a $150 cost to participate in this program. We have a limited number of scholarships for people are unable to afford it. Let us know if you will need a scholarship to attend this institute and please share why.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service