ORR Acceptable Use Agreement
Please read this document carefully before signing.
With access to computers and people all over the world also comes the availability of material that may not be considered to be of educational value in the context of the school setting. Our Internet Service Provider uses Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) certified upstream filtering to block many sites that have no educational value. While student use of the Internet is monitored, monitoring of all Internet use by staff members, administrators and students is neither feasible nor possible. Therefore, it is the purpose of these guidelines and the agreement for Internet use to ensure that all who use this valuable resource do so in an appropriate manner.
To use the Internet through the Old Rochester Regional School District/Massachusetts School Superintendency Union No. 55 connection, the user must agree to take full responsibility for his or her own actions. The Old Rochester Regional School District/Massachusetts School Superintendency Union No. 55, along with other organizations sponsoring this Internet connection, will not be liable for the actions of anyone connecting to the Internet.. Therefore, all users shall assume full liability, legal, financial, or otherwise for their actions.
Violations of any of these guidelines may result in loss of access and/or additional disciplinary action as deemed appropriate. When applicable, law enforcement agencies may be involved.
The signature(s) at the end of this document is (are) legally binding and indicate(s) the party (parties) who signed has (have) read the terms and conditions carefully and understand(s) their significance.
Internet - Terms and Conditions of Use
1) Acceptable Use - The primary purpose of the Old Rochester Regional School District/Massachusetts School Superintendency Union No. 55 Internet connection is to support the educational objectives of the District. It is essential that everyone who uses this connection understand that purpose. No user shall use this Internet link for commercial purposes or to perform any illegal or inappropriate act, such as the use of the link to gain unauthorized access to other systems on the network.
2) Privileges - The use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of those privileges. (Each student or staff member will be presented with the Internet Acceptable Use & Safety Policy and how it pertains to the proper use of the network. The document will be fully explained at the time of the presentation. This procedure will be repeated annually.) The network administrators will determine what is inappropriate use and their decision is final. Also, the network administrators may close an account at any time as required. The administration, faculty, and staff of Old Rochester Regional School District/Massachusetts School Superintendency Union No. 55 may request the system administrator to deny, revoke, or suspend specific user accounts.
3) Network Etiquette - You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
a) Be polite. Do not get abusive in your messages to others.
b) Use appropriate language. Obscenity is prohibited. Illegal activities are strictly forbidden.
c) Do not reveal your personal address or phone number, or that of other students or colleagues.
d) Note that electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. People who operate the system do have access to all mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to the authorities.
e) Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by others.
f) All communications and information of other users accessible via the network is private property.
4) Old Rochester Regional School District/Massachusetts School Superintendency Union No. 55 makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. Old Rochester Regional School District/Massachusetts School Superintendency Union No. 55 will not be responsible for any damages you suffer, including the loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, misdeliveries, or service interruptions caused by the School District’s own or your own negligence, or by the School District’s or your errors or omissions.
Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at your own risk. Old Rochester Regional School District/Massachusetts School Superintendency Union No. 55 specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
5) Security – Security on any computer system is a high priority, especially when the system involves many users. If you feel you can identify a security problem on the Internet, you must notify a system administrator or your Old Rochester Regional District Internet Coordinator. Do not demonstrate the problem to other users. Do not use another individual’s account without written permission from that individual. Attempts to log on to the Internet as a system administrator will result in cancellation of user privileges. Any user identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access to the Internet.
6) Vandalism – Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges. Vandalism is defined as any attempt to harm or destroy data of another user, Internet, or any of the above listed agencies or other networks that are connected to any of the Internet backbones. This includes, but is not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses.
All users should keep in mind that when they use the Internet, they are entering a global community, and any actions taken by them will reflect upon the school system as a whole. As a member of this community, all users must behave in an ethical and legal manner.