A core resource that we provide to individuals and groups in the city is space to host events, meetings, workshops, and so forth. There is no fixed charge to use our space, although donations are welcome!
1) Respect – This means that we ask that you be respectful of the values that the space upholds and ask the participants to remember that we are not a corporate establishment with an eye on making cash. Our space is designed to be open and welcoming, which means that, for example, anyone who wants to use the bathroom or make a telephone call is entitled to do so without fear of judgment. Please remember that the space and the volunteers respect diversity and we expect the people using the space to value the same. No homophobic, transphobic, heterosexist, sexist, racist, anti-poor, ableist discourse or any other forms of discrimination will be tolerated.
2) Sound – We ask that you not play really loud music or movies in the space as we are part of a residential neighborhood (with apartments above us). This means that we are OK with amplification in the space provided it is kept to a reasonable level. ALL noisy events MUST end by 11pm.
3) Hours – For the above reasons, we ask that your event be over and that the space be empty of people by the time agreed with the volunteer. It is okay to have quiet meetings after 11PM, but any loud gathering would give us trouble with our landlord and neighbours. This also lets the volunteer go home for the night, as we all need sleep.
4) Space – Leave it as you found it. Like nature, Spartacus prefers to be pristine. If you spill something, please clean it up. If you use our kettle or cups, please wash and put them away.
5) Alcohol – We don’t have a liquor license, and we don’t have the money to get one. Books also get scared of drinks. Please don’t sell or bring alcohol into the space.
6) Collective member – Each event at Spartacus Books will be attended by a collective member who keeps the space open and volunteers to be there until the gathering ends. This person is responsible for the space and has the final say on what happens in the space while you are hosting. Please speak to them about any questions you have during the event.