We’re looking for some great projects to tackle! This year's theme is Access, including access to public spaces by people of varying abilities and access to opportunities and information by people across the socio-economic spectrum. Review our project guidelines below, and if you have an idea that meets our criteria, we encourage you to submit a proposal by 5 pm on May 21, 2019. Our panel of educators, staff, and students will review proposals to choose several potential Project Partners. Representatives of the selected finalists will be asked to present their idea to the DownCity Designers during the first week of camp, on the morning of July 11 or 12. Our students will make their final selection of 1-2 projects following those presentations.
We’re grateful to be part of the Hasbro Summer Learning Initiative, an education initiative of the United Way of Rhode Island designed to mitigate summer learning loss for RI students.
- Partner organizations will send a representative to at least two 1-hour visits with our youth design team, to present the project and provide context, and to review solutions and offer feedback before we begin building.
- Partners must have site control and be empowered to make decisions about the project site.
- Partners must be available to consult by email or phone to address any logistical issues that may come up during the program, from July 8 – August 16, 2019.
- Partners will help organize, promote and attend a celebratory ribbon-cutting event on the morning of August 16, 2019 to unveil the project.
- While we have a limited budget available for construction materials, preference will be given to partners that can invest additional resources (eg. funding for building materials) in the project.
- Is widely accessible to the public
- Will be a relatively permanent or semi-permanent structure
- Will excite and engage our young designers, and will be relevant to their lives
- Can be built using basic wood construction techniques
- Doesn’t require insulation, electricity, plumbing, or other utilities
- Will have a designated steward to care for it after completion