Organic Chemistry Quiz
This is a formative quiz on some of the fundamental concepts covered in this Organic Chemistry unit so far. Try your best on the questions, and note any mistakes you make. Remember, your summative quiz is next Wednesday, November 28th.
1. An organic molecule's structure is shown below.
Name all of the functional groups in the molecule pictured above.
2. Which of the following is not true about a homologous series?
All members of a homologous series have the same functional group.
All members of a homologous series have the same functional group on the same number carbon.
As the carbon chain length increases, the strength of the intermolecular forces increases.
As the carbon chain length increases, the boiling point tends to decrease
3. Which of the following is an incorrect name for a molecule?
4. The following molecules are structural isomers.
Which of the above would have a higher boiling point? Explain your choice.
5. The formula C2H4O2 has several structural isomers. What functional group could NOT exist in one of these isomers?
6. Addition of a hydrogen halide to an alkene will result in:
This reaction is not possible.
7. Write the following types of compounds in order of least to most oxidized. Aldehyde, Alkane, Carbon dioxide, Alkene, Alcohol.
8. Reaction of a tertiary alcohol with potassium dichromate under reflux conditions will produce:
There will not be a reaction
Functional groups that are generally basic commonly contain which element:
The molecule 2-pentanol can be oxidized with potassium permanganate in acidic solution to form a(n):
What happens in the initiation step of the halogenation of an alkane?
UV light breaks the halogen molecule bond via homolytic fission, resulting in a halide anion and cation.
UV light breaks the halogen molecule bond via homolytic fission, resulting in two halogen free radicals.
UV light breaks the halogen molecule bond via heterolytic fission, resulting in a halide anion and cation.
UV light breaks the halogen molecule bond via heterolytic fission, resulting in two halogen free radicals.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Inter-Community School Zurich.
Terms of Service