SUN BEAR: Omnivore from South-east Asia
• Sunbear loves - honey and figs; forests; climbing trees; hugging its mate.
• Sunbear has - long claws for climbing trees; strong jaws for breaking open trees and nuts; poor eyesight and great sense of smell; an extra long tongue for slurping up honey.
• Sunbear can - climb trees very quickly; attack if provoked; build nests in tree-tops; guard its young fiercely; tear open trees and termite mounds to get to insects; carry its baby in its arms while walking on its hind legs; sunbear babies hum while being nursed.
• Sunbear is - the smallest member of the bear family; elusive; nocturnal; faithful (monogamous); a good mummy; fierce and aggressive if surprised.
PANGOLIN: An insectivore from Africa and Asia
• Pangolin loves - digging with her sharp claws; eating ants; cuddling her baby; scenting her territory.
• Pangolin has - little eyes and ears; strong claws; no teeth; a soft belly; individual hard scales that look like polished wood; a tongue longer than her body; poor vision and relies on smell and hearing.
• Pangolin can - burrow underground; climb trees; swim; curl up in a ball; give her baby a ride on her tail; curl around her baby to protect it; close her ears and nostrils to keep insects out.
• Pangolin is - shy; nocturnal; a good mummy; solitary; a peaceful animal.
HIPPO: Herbivore from Africa
• Hippo loves – cooling down in water; basking in the sun; eating grass
• Hippo has – short legs; huge mouth; body shaped like a barrel
• Hippo can - stay under water for 5 minutes; sleep underwater bobbing up automatically to breathe; secrete an oily red liquid to protect them from the sun; easily outrun humans; run up to 30km/hour; live for up to 45 years; close their nose and ears underwater; can go 3 weeks without eating ; kill crocodiles!
• Hippo is – amphibious; sociable; very loud; brave and ferocious; one of the most dangerous animals in Africa; one of the most aggressive creatures in the world; the third largest land mammal: a close relative of whales, dolphins and pigs
FOX: Omnivore from Europe, Africa, Asia, America
• Fox loves – living in underground dens; eating anything edible they can find; exploiting new habitats; looking after his family; hiding food to eat later.
• Fox has – beautiful red fur and a bushy tail; whiskers on his legs and face to help him find his way; eyes that glow in the dark; amazing hearing; eyes with vertical pupils like a cat.
• Fox can – pounce to catch prey; climb trees; see in the dark; store food for later; run up to 45 km/hour; retract its claws like a cat; use 28 different sounds to communicate; jump up to 2m high; hear rodents digging underground; hunt during the daytime if they live in a place where they feel safe.
• Fox is - adaptable; flexible; solitary but social; loyal; brave; intelligent; often monogamous; nocturnal; a member of the dog family.