Please read the below request for proposals CAREFULLY to avoid being eliminated from consideration.
__________________________________________________REQUESTS FOR PROPOSALS
LINKS HALL’s mission is to encourage artistic innovation and public engagement by maintaining a facility and providing flexible programming for the research, development and presentation of new work in the performing arts.
As an organization Links Hall best realizes its mission by functioning as an artistic incubator, a launch pad that partners directly with artists through commissioning residencies and artist-conceived programs in order to achieve outcomes greater than either organization or individual could accomplish alone.
For our 41st Season Links Hall is seeking four artist/projects to participate in our Co-MISSION Residency program. These residencies will be awarded to emerging artists/collaborative projects who are seeking studio residencies to continue the development of a project they are in the process of researching.
The selection will be made by Links Hall's Programing Committee.
Offered Annually, September-December
Co-MISSION Residencies are awarded annually to four emerging artists. These artists are provided with three month studio residencies to continue the development of a project they are in the process of researching. These residency include modest monthly stipends, the support of the Art of Rehearsal Workshop series, paid mentorship, works in progress opportunities, and the opportunity to perform in the Co-MISSION Festival of New Works.
Requests for Proposals are live every year in the fall.
- Three months of rehearsal space in the Links Hall studios, 10hrs of rehearsal space per week during weekday mornings and afternoons exclusively (Evenings and weekends are dedicated to performance and workshop programs.)
- A stipend of $200 per month over the course of the residency
- The Art of Rehearsal workshop series
- Free access to performances and discussions at Links Hall for our 2019/20 season.
- A work-in-progress showing at the halfway point of the residency.
- Two fully produced split bill performances during the CoMISSION Festival of New Works Studio A December 5-8 2019. (Artists perform on a split bill and receive an equal shares of ticket sales)
- Professional Video documentation of their performance.
- Professional development guidance in marketing and finance (and fiscal sponsorship) for artists by Links Hall’s staff.
__________________________________________________KEY DATES (REQUIRED AVAILABILITY)
- September 1-December 1, Rehearsal Residency (Studio availability Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, nights and weekends are for performances and workshops - sorry)
- Saturday Sept 7, 10am-3pm, Residency Intro Workshop
- Wed October 30, 1pm TECH 7pm Perfromance , WIP showing
- Friday Nov 16 & Saturday November 17, 10-3pm - 2 Day Art of Rehearsal Workshop
- Dec 2-6, Festival TECH
- Dec 5-8 Festival Performances
__________________________________________________RESIDENT ARTIST ARE EXPECTED TO
- Clean the studio floors before or after your rehearsals Links Hall.
- Give back to Links Hall's community by compleating six Box Office, and/or front-of-house shift for Links Hall performances prior to or during your residency.
- Join in on Links Hall activities and help out based on their individual skill sets.
- Manage their rehearsal schedules. i.e cancel rehearsals, don't stand us up AND check the Links Hall online booking system before asking staff if the studio is available for use.
- Use the resources of the residency. i.e, rehearse, participate in workshops, be responsive to marketing, scheduling, and production staff inquires, promote your performances to your community.
- Applicants must have past experience with maintaining a regular studio/rehearsal practice.
- Applicants must be Chicago residents and must be available/in Chicago September 1, 2019 - December 8, 2019.
- Applicant must be able to rehearse 6-10 hours a week during weekdays 9am-6pm.
- Applicants should be engaged in a live performance practice other than Music. As we run a shared venue with a music presenter Links Hall can not commission or present sound based works. This does not mean that you can not work with a musical or sound based collaborator. Interdisciplinary projects are welcome.
- Applicants CAN NOT currently be enrolled in a degree seeking program or should be graduating Spring/Summer 2019.
- Applications are welcome from individual artists, collaborating partners or groups. If you are applying with partner(s) or a group, please demonstrate in your application that everyone is committed to utilizing the space and time offered through the Co-MISSION Residency program – i.e. weekday hours
- Applicants must be available for residency workshops and willing to participate in a mid point works in progress showing as well as a concluding festival.
__________________________________________________CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Proposals will be reviewed in the context of Links Hall’s mission.
- The selection panel will consider the applicants proposed project in the context of representing Chicago's diverse performing arts community.
- Is the proposal innovative, original, risk taking, and a reflection of contemporary practices in the live arts both locally and nationally?
- We will assess the applicants need in alignment with their past artistic experience - is this a right time in the applicants artistic career for this opportunity? Are the resources of a Co-MISSION Residency necessary for the creation of this work? Will this artist fully utilize the resources offered by this program?
- The selection panel will consider the applicants proposed project in the context of Links Hall's over all season. We are committed to offering a diverse season. Applications for all programs are selected with a curatorial eye for the entire seasons offerings. We are committed to building a diverse, innovative, and excellent season that showcases a wide range of live art.
__________________________________________________TO APPLY YOU WILL NEED
1) A two page maximum resume or CV
2) 5 min video work sample submitted as a digital link (Vimeo, you tube, google drive, your website, etc). Other work samples will not be considered.
Please contact Anna Trier at email@example.com or call our office at 773.281.0824 with any further inquiries.
All application materials must be submitted through this form, selected artists will be notified by June 1, 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday April 1, 2019