The Centre of Excellence for Black Student Achievement Virtually Unveils New Physical Space!
The Centre of Excellence for Black Student Achievement is proud to unveil the new physical space on Monday June 13, 2022, from 6:00PM - 7:30PM EST! The creation of the Centre of Excellence for Black Student Achievement originated as part of the Toronto District School Board’s response to dismantling anti-Black racism within the school board. It aims to improve both experiences and outcomes for Black students and is also responsive to the voices of Black communities who consistently advocated for deeper systemic change.
This live-streamed evening is filled with activities including a video tour. There will be the unveiling of artwork developed by artist and creator of the LEGACY posters and Order of Canada recipient, Robert Small, along with award-winning Afrofuturist muralist and cultural curator, Danilo Deluxo.
- Coco Collective, Multidisciplinary intergenerational artists specializing in African and Caribbean arts
- TDSB students from Africentric Alternative School
- Randell Adjei, Ontario’s 1st Poet Laureate
Audiences will hear from Toronto District School Board staff and distinguished community members, including:
- Colleen Russell-Rawlins, Director of Education, TDSB
- Karen Murray, System Superintendent, Equity, Anti-Racism, Anti-Oppression & Early Years, TDSB
- Alexander Brown, Chair, TDSB
- Dr. George Dei, Professor, Social Justice Education, OISE, University of Toronto
- Dr. Carl James, Professor, Jean Augustine Chair in Education, Community & Diaspora, York University
- Dr. Njoki Wane, Professor and Chair of Social Justice Education, OISE, University of Toronto
- Dr. Nicole West-Burns, CEO of NWB Educational Equity Consulting
The event will be moderated by Itah Sadu, storyteller, author and managing director of A Different Booklist Cultural Centre: The People's Residence.
REGISTER TO JOIN US ON JUNE 13th FROM 6:00PM - 7:30PM EST